Trackback linking is a means by which a page can tell another page that it has been linked to. (To learn more about how trackback works, please have a look at the Trackback specification ).
For instance, if a user writes a URL in a JIRA comment and that URL leads to a trackback-enabled web application such as a weblog, a Confluence page or another JIRA site, the page on this trackback-enabled web application is informed about the link in the JIRA comment and is able to automatically create a link back to the JIRA comment containing that URL.
Please Note: When linking to a JIRA site, make sure that JIRA site's base URL has been set correctly.
To check a JIRA site's 'Base URL', select 'Administration' > 'System' > 'General Configuration', or use the keyboard shortcut 'g' + 'g' + type 'gen'
In JIRA, you can configure whether or not to:
- display links to external pages that link to your pages (accept incoming trackback pings)
- notify external pages that they have been linked to (send outgoing pings)
The default configuration is to display incoming links, but not notify external pages.
To configure trackbacks:
- Log in as a user with the 'JIRA System Administrators' global permission.
- Select 'Administration' > 'System' > 'Issue Features' > 'Trackbacks' (tab) to open the 'Trackback Settings' page.
Keyboard shortcut 'g' + 'g' + type 'trac'
- Click the 'Edit Configuration' button.
- In the 'Accept Incoming Trackback Pings' field, select 'ON' to enable trackbacks.
- In the 'Send Outgoing Trackback Pings' field, choose one of the following options:
- select 'On for all issues' to always notify external sites that they have been linked to.
- select 'On for public issues only' to only notify external sites that they have been linked to if the issue is publicly visible.
- select 'Off' to never notify external sites that they have been linked to.
- (Optional) In the 'URL Patterns to Exclude' field, specify the URLs of any sites which you always want to exclude from being notified that they have been linked to. Use regular expressions (one per line), e.g.:
Click the 'Update'button.
Temporarily disabling trackbacks
Trackback pings can be disabled (e.g. during a data import) by setting the jira.trackback.senddisabled=true flag on startup.