Configuring the default issue navigator
Jira applications let you change the columns of the table of search results for any search results displayed using the list view. To change the columns that appear:
- Click Columns at top right of the issue table
- Check the columns you want to include and click Done
To sort issues, click on a column header. To rearrange the column layout, click and hold on a column header, then drag it to your desired location.
Here's an example of search results in Jira:
The Filter option will only appear in column settings when the results are coming from a filter that you own. See Changing the column configuration for your own filters for an example of using this dialog to set the displayed columns for your own filters.
My defaults, filter, and system
If the currently selected button is My Defaults, this indicates that the columns you are seeing are from your user account preferences. Filter is an available option whenever the issue search results come from a saved filter.
If you're a Jira Admin, you will also see the System tab, where you can change the columns for all users who have not set their own defaults. When administrators are configuring default columns, their permissions are ignored so that they can add a project-specific custom field from a project they don't have permissions to see. The field, though, is never shown to users that don't have permission to see it.
Change the column configuration for your own filters
If you're searching using a saved filter and if the filter is owned by you, use the Filter tab to customize the columns displayed when users see results from that filter. When sharing a filter with others, it can be helpful to choose the relevant columns that best display the information returned in the search. For example, if your filter searches for issues that are open bugs, you may decide to remove the columns for status and issue type for that filter since they will all be the same.
Filters don't always have columns configured, but when they do those columns will be shown unless the user chooses to use their defaults using the My Defaults tab.
Change the displayed columns for filters you own:
- Select the name of the filter
- Choose the Columns button at top right of the currently displayed columns
- Select or deselect columns in the list
- Choose Done
If you can't find a column, make sure that you haven't run in to any of the following restrictions:
- You can only see columns for issue fields that have not been hidden and that you have permissions to see.
- It's possible to add any of the existing custom fields to the column list, as long as the fields are visible and you have the right permissions.
- Some project-specific custom fields, even if selected, don't appear in the issue navigator for all issues. Project-specific custom fields will be shown only if the filter has been restricted to that project only.
- Issue type custom fields aren't displayed by default in the issue navigator. But, if you include the issue type configured for the custom field in the query, you can select the custom field in the column configuration dialog to add the custom field to the issue navigator.