Migrating from Jira Cloud to Server applications
You can create a backup of your Jira Cloud data and import that into a Jira Server or Data Center instance, hosted on your own server.
If you want to move a single project from Jira Cloud into Jira Server or Data Center, see Restoring a project from backup.
Before you begin
- You need to download and install the latest release of Jira Server or Data Center products.
- The following only migrates data from Jira products (Jira Software, Jira Service Desk and Jira Core). If you are migrating other Atlassian Cloud products (like Confluence Cloud), see Import and export cloud data.
- For all of the following procedures, you must be logged in as a user with the Administer Jira global permission.
Feature incompatibility and loss
Jira Cloud products are regularly updated with the absolute latest features and improvements. They run on a completely different branches of development than the latest downloadable version of Jira Server or Jira Data Center products. You may not find some features from Jira Cloud in your own hosted instance.
Jira product licenses
Your Atlassian Cloud license cannot be used in an instance installed from Jira Server applications. You will need to generate a new Jira Server application license from.
Atlassian Marketplace apps
Third-party apps built for Jira Cloud products are not compatible with Jira Server or Data Center products. You will need to contact the app vendor directly to find out if they offer a server-compatible version of their app and how you might migrate your license. Your licenses for Atlassian Marketplace apps can be viewed on.
Migrating other Atlassian Cloud applications
If you migrate Jira Cloud products and other Atlassian Cloud products (like Confluence Cloud), a number of integration features will stop working. These can be re-enabled by configuring application links between your Atlassian products. See Using AppLinks to link to other applications for instructions. Reach out to support if you need help.
How to migrate from Jira Cloud to Jira Server
Here's an overview of the basic steps to migrate from Jira Cloud to Jira Server or Data Center:
- Back up your Jira Cloud site.
- Install the latest version of Jira Server.
- Import your Jira Cloud backup into your new Jira Server instance.
- Import attachments from your backup into your new Jira Server instance.
- Log into your new Jira Server instance and change the password.
Step 1. Back up your Jira Cloud site
To back up your Jira Cloud site:
- Choose the Jira icon ( > Jira settings > System , , , or ).
- In the IMPORT AND EXPORT section, click Backup manager.
- Under Backup for server, select Create backup for server.
You can tick the Include additional files option if you want to include issue attachments, user avatars, and project logos in the export.
After the backup is complete, select Download backup file.
Jira Server and Jira Data Center do not support independent projects. To create a usable server backup, you need to delete all independent projects from your Jira Cloud site. Learn more.
Step 2. Install the latest version of Jira Server
To install the latest version:
- Download the latest version from the Atlassian website.
- Follow the setup instructions until you are instructed to run the setup wizard!
Step 3. Import your Jira Cloud backup into your Jira Server instance
To import data from your Jira Cloud backup:
- Follow the instructions on the setup wizard through step 1.
- During step 2 of the wizard (Application properties), you will be asked whether you have existing data. Click Import your existing data and follow the instructions.
For instances with large backups (2GB or larger), we recommend importing any attachments separately. To do this:
- Unzip your Jira Cloud backup file.
- Move data and logos folder into a safe place.
- Recompress the backup folder with the
- Import that compressed file.
You may see a message like the following:
This is only a warning. Your import will still work.
Step 4. Import your Jira Cloud attachments in your Jira Server instance
If you included your attachments in your Jira Cloud backup:
- Unzip the backup file that was downloaded.
- Copy the contents of the attachments folder into the
$JIRA_HOME/data/attachmentsdirectory in your Jira Server instance.
Step 5. Log into your new Jira Server instance and change the password
- Log in to your new Jira application, using the following credentials:
- Change the password immediately after logging in.