Setting up your instance
- Setting up your instance
- Creating a project
- Adding new users
- Managing permissions
As a first step, you'll set up an evaluation instance of Jira. We'll guide you through three simple steps to get Jira up and running in no time!
On this page:
If you're ready to set up a production Jira site or you want more control, check out our full installation guides.
Before you begin
Our installers come with all the bits and pieces you need to run the application, but there's a few things you'll need to get up and running:
A computer or laptop with a supported operating system - you'll be installing Jira so you'll need admin rights.
Supported operating systems...
You can install Jira on a Windows or Linux operating system.
Apple Mac isn't supported for production sites, but if you're comfortable setting up applications on your Mac from scratch, you can download the
tar.gzfile and follow the instructions for Installing Jira applications on Linux from Archive File as the process is similar.
A supported web browser - you'll need this to access Jira, we support the latest versions of Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, and Microsoft Edge.
- A valid email address - you'll need this to generate your evaluation license and create an account.
Ready to get going? Let's start with grabbing the installer.
Download the installer
Head to www.atlassian.com/software/jira/core/download and download the installer for your operating system.
Install your Jira application
The installer allows you to choose Express or Custom installations.
The Custom installation allows you to pick some specific options for Jira, but for this guide we'll use the Express installation.
- Run the installer - we recommend running with a Windows administrator account.
If prompted, make sure you allow the installer to make changes to your computer. This will allow you to install Jira as a service.
- Choose Express Install, then click Next.
- Once installation is complete, it will ask you if you want to open Jira in your browser. Make sure this option is selected then click Done.
- Jira will open in your default browser, and you're ready to start the set up wizard.
Change to the directory where you downloaded Jira then execute this command to make it executable:
$ chmod a+x atlassian-jira-software-X.X.X-x64.bin
jira-software.X.X.Xis is the JIRA version you downloaded.
Run the installer - we recommend using
sudoto run the installer as this will create a dedicated account to run Jira and allow you to run Jira as a service.
$ sudo ./atlassian-jira-software-X.X.X-x64.bin
- When prompted, choose Express Install (option 1).
- Once installation is complete head to http://localhost:8080 in your browser to begin the setup process.
Set up your Jira application
The set up wizard is the last step in getting Jira up and running. You'll need your email address to generate your evaluation license.
- Select Set it up for me and then Continue to MyAtlassian.
This will allow Jira to set up everything it needs to run, including an H2 database.
- Create an account (or log in if you already have an Atlassian ID account).
- Follow the prompts to generate a license for the JIRA application you want to try, and apply it to your new installation.
- Enter and confirm the details you want to use for your administrator account, and click Next.
- It will take a few minutes to get everything connected and operational.
That's it! Let's now create your first project.