View, create, or delete a group
Before you begin
You must be logged in as a user with the JIRA Administratorsor JIRA System Administrators global permission to perform the following procedures.
View the group browser
The Group Browser in JIRA allows you to view, create, and edit groups, while also allowing you to modify members, and view group permissions and settings.
- Choose >User Management.
- Select Groups to open the Group Browser.
- Click the group name to see the permissions, email notification schemes, security levels, and saved filters.
Create a group
Create new groups in JIRA to customize security permissions based on roles. Users may be added to many groups depending on the level of access that they need to do their job.
- From the group browser, type the new group name in the Add Group form.
- Click Add Group and you're done.
New groups are created without access to JIRA functions so you'll have to assign permissions to the group before members can inherit functionality.
Delete a group
Before you delete
- Check whether the group is being used by any permission schemes, email notification schemes, issue security levels, or saved filters.
- Consider the impact this may have on users in that group. For example, if a user receives access to a specific feature only from this group, then the user will no longer have that permission and it may impact their work.
- Choose > User Management.
- Select Groups in the left panel to open the Group Browser.
- Click Delete in the Operations column .
- You will be redirected to a confirmation screen that explains that users will be removed from the group through its deletion. The users themselves will not be deleted from JIRA during this operation.
- Note that you cannot delete a group that is currently the only default group for an application. The Delete link will be greyed out.
- Consider carefully and click Delete to finish (or Cancel if you've decided to reconsider).