Defining priority field values
An issue's priority defines its importance in relation to other issues, so it helps your users determine which issues should be tackled first. Jira comes with a set of default priorities, which you can modify or add to. You can also choose different priorities for your projects.
To manage priorities and complete the actions listed below, go to Administration (global permission to get there.) > Issues, and choose Priorities. You need to have the Jira Administrators
- This is where all priorities live.
- Icon and name representing a priority.
- Priority scheme that a priority is used by. You can click it to see the list of schemes.
- Here you can create a new priority.
To create a priority:
- From the Priorities page, select Add priority.
- Enter the name and description for your priority. The name will appear in the drop-down field when a user creates or edits an issue.
- Choose an icon to represent this priority.
- Specify a color to represent this priority. You can either type the HTML color code, or click the box at the right of the field to select from a color chart.
- Select Add to create a priority. It will be added to the default priority scheme that contains all priorities. You can later add it to another scheme if you wish.
Associating priorities with projects
To choose priorities for a project, you need to add them to a priority scheme, and then associate this scheme with a project. Until you do that, all projects use the default priority scheme. Treat priority schemes like mappings that allow you to choose a set of priorities and the projects that will use them. Read more about this here: Associating priorities with projects.
|Translating priorities||You can translate priorities into different languages. See Translating resolutions, priorities, statuses, and issue types.|
|Editing priorities||To edit a priority, select Edit next to the priority you want to edit.|
To delete a priority, select Delete next to the priority you want to delete. There are certain restrictions:
Re-ordering priorities changes the order in which they appear in the drop-down list when a user creates or edits an issue. The order on this page applies only to the default priority scheme.
To reorder priorities: