Optimizing custom fields
Custom fields can have a huge impact on the performance of your Jira instance. You can decrease this impact and speed up your Jira by improving the configuration of your custom fields. With the custom fields optimizer, you can do it automatically.
Custom field optimization is available for Jira Software Data Center and Jira Service Desk Data Center.
Scanning your custom fields
Scan your custom fields to find and highlight those whose configuration can be optimized. The scan will exclude any custom fields created automatically by Jira Software, Jira Service Desk and Portfolio for Jira.
To scan your custom fields:
- Log in as a Jira administrator, and go to > Issues.
- In the menu on the left, click Custom fields optimizer.
- Click Scan. Depending on the size of your instance, it might take some time. Just leave it running and come back later.
Viewing the results
When the scan is complete, it will show you why custom fields were highlighted, and how many of them can be optimized.
- Recommendation: Shows why custom fields are highlighted, and tells you how many fields can be optimized.
- Manage custom fields: Takes you to the page with highlighted custom fields, where you can optimize them.
- Scan: Action to start the scan, or to run it again.
Custom fields with global contexts
These custom fields are available to all projects in your Jira instance, although only a handful actually use them. For more info on how to optimize these fields, see Custom fields with global contexts.
Custom fields and archiving issues
Archived issues are deleted from Jira index and because of that Custom Filed Optimizer does not have the full set of information about the issues which use a particular custom field. This can result in some unwanted behaviour such as custom fields not displaying for archived issues and for the issues that have been restored. For more information, see Jira Knowledge Base.