Exporting projects from the source instance
These steps are for migrating projects between different instances of Jira Server and Data Center and require a 3rd party app Project Configurator for Jira. If you're migrating from Server to Cloud, see Jira Server to Cloud migration resources.
Export your projects from the source instance.
Starting the export
- Log in to the source Jira as an administrator.
- Go to the add-on administration page.
- In the menu on the left, in the PROJECT CONFIGURATOR section, click Export selected projects.
- Select the projects that you want to export (to select more than one, use the
CTRLkey in Windows, or
COMMANDkey in macOS.)
- Select Configuration and data below the list of projects, and click Next.
Next, you will choose export options.
When migrating projects, the most important options are related to exporting custom fields and users.
- Filtering custom fields – Select this option to migrate only the custom fields that are used by your exported projects. It'll save you time.
- User/group export options – Choose a way to export your user data:
- Full export: This is the default option. If a username is anywhere in the exported configuration, the add-on will try to find and add it to the exported items. If the user is not valid, the export will halt with an error.
- Ignore invalid users: If the username is not valid, the user will not be added to the exported items. The username will still appear as component or project lead, and will be a part of different schemes in the exported file. In these cases, however, the export will not halt. Currently, the add-on can detect an invalid username in two cases:
- When it can't find a user with that name
- When the user has an invalid email address (it does not conform to the pattern "X@Y" where X and Y are non-empty strings)
- Do not export: No users will be exported.
For more information about the export options, see Selecting export options.
Exporting filters, dashboards and Agile boards
As for filters and dashboards, it's enough if you select one of the following options:
- Shared with exported projects – export filters/dashboards that are used by your exported projects.
- With all users or with exported projects – export filters/dashboards that are used by your exported projects, or all users.
For Scrum and Kanban boards, you'll probably export only those boards that are associated with the exported projects (Associated to exported projects).
When the export is complete, you will be redirected to a summary of the export that shows the location of the exported ZIP archive. You will need it in the next step.
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article