JIRA Agile 6.3 Upgrade Notes
Before you begin
Sometimes we find out about a problem with the latest version of JIRA Agile after we have released the software. In these cases, we publish information about the known issues in the JIRA Agile Knowledge Base. Please check for known issues and follow the instructions as necessary.
General upgrade instructions
- Read the notes on this page:
- Follow these instructions to upgrade JIRA Agile:
- If you are using JIRA Agile with JIRA Server, upgrade via the JIRA Plugin Manager.
- If you are using JIRA Agile with JIRA Cloud, subscribe to our blog for the latest updates (see this page for instructions). Please note that JIRA Agile may be released for JIRA Server several days before it is updated for JIRA Cloud. To find out what version of JIRA Agile is running in JIRA Cloud, see Application Versions.
Upgrading from GreenHopper 6.2.x, 6.1.x, 6.0.x, 5.10.x, 5.9.x, or 5.8.x to JIRA Agile 6.3
- Go to GreenHopper in the UPM
- Compatible with JIRA 5.1.x and higher
- Issues now belong exclusively to sprints
- Schedule Issues permission required for adding/removing an issue from a sprint
- Re-index if subtasks or swimlanes don't display/work correctly
- Re-index recommended if using Epics
- Re-index required if upgrading from 5.9.7 or older
- If upgrading from 5.8.3, manual upgrade is required
Go to GreenHopper in the UPM
To upgrade to JIRA Agile 6.3, please navigate to Atlassian GreenHopper in the Universal Plugin Manager, i.e. JIRA Administration > Add-Ons > Atlassian GreenHopper.
Note, you will see an upgrade message saying 'A free update (v. 6.3.x.x) is available for this add-on.' Click Update. This will upgrade your GreenHopper add-on and rename it to JIRA Agile.
From JIRA Agile 6.3.0 and later, you will see 'JIRA Agile' not 'Atlassian GreenHopper' in the Universal Plugin Manager.
Compatible with JIRA 5.1.x and higher
JIRA Agile 6.3 is only compatible with .x and higher.
Issues now belong exclusively to sprints
Please read Sprint Marker Migration for important information about how this will affect your data.
Schedule Issues permission required for adding/removing an issue from a sprint
The act of adding/removing an issue for a sprint also involves ranking the issue, as you can drag and drop the issue to any point in the sprint. Hence, these two actions now require the Schedule Issues permission, in addition to the Edit Issues permission. Read more...
Re-index if subtasks or swimlanes don't display/work correctly
If subtasks or swimlanes are not displaying/working correctly after the upgrade, you may need to reindex JIRA.
Re-index recommended if using Epics
A JIRA re-index is recommended before you start using epics.
Re-index required if upgrading from 5.9.7 or older
A JIRA re-index is required for anyone upgrading from a GreenHopper version older than 5.9.7.
If upgrading from 5.8.3, manual upgrade is required
If you are upgrading from GreenHopper 5.8.3, please:
Upgrading from GreenHopper 5.7.x or earlier
In addition to the points listed above, please read the Upgrade Notes for every version of JIRA Agile you are skipping.
- GreenHopper was renamed to JIRA Agile in JIRA Agile 6.3. From JIRA Agile 6.3.0 and later, you will see 'JIRA Agile' not 'Atlassian GreenHopper' in the Universal Plugin Manager.
- Re-index and restart JIRA after the upgrade, if you are upgrading from 5.9.7 or older
- If upgrading from GreenHopper 5.8.3, you must upgrade manually — download the JIRA Agile add-on separately (from the Atlassian Marketplace) and install the add-on file by upload, as described here: Installing add-ons. Note, this applies GreenHopper 5.8.3 only.
Before upgrading from JIRA Agile 5.7.x to JIRA Agile 5.8
Read the GreenHopper 5.8 Upgrade Notes.
- Updating your saved JIRA filters — Ensure that you read the 'Changes to Ranking' section in the GreenHopper 5.8 Upgrade Notes. As noted in that section. You need to manually update any saved JIRA filters that include the GreenHopper Rank custom field to use the new GreenHopper Global Rank field(s).
For the developers
Please note, the "sprints" REST resource has been renamed to "sprintquery".
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!