JIRA Agile 6.5 Upgrade Notes
Before you begin
Sometimes we find out about a problem with the latest version of JIRA Agile after we have released the software. In these cases, we publish information about the known issues in the JIRA Agile Knowledge Base. Please check for known issues and follow the instructions as necessary.
General upgrade instructions
- Read the notes on this page:
- Follow these instructions to upgrade JIRA Agile:
- If you are using JIRA Agile with JIRA Server, upgrade via the JIRA Plugin Manager.
- If you are using JIRA Agile with JIRA Cloud, subscribe to our blog for the latest updates (see this page for instructions). Please note that JIRA Agile may be released for JIRA Server several days before it is updated for JIRA Cloud. To find out what version of JIRA Agile is running in JIRA Cloud, see Application Versions.
Upgrading from JIRA Agile 6.4 to JIRA Agile 6.5
JIRA Agile 6.5 is no longer compatible with JIRA 6.0.x
JIRA Agile 6.5 (and future releases) will not work with JIRA 6.0.x. See Supported Platforms for details. If you are using JIRA 6.0.x or earlier, upgrade to JIRA 6.1 or later before you upgrade to JIRA Agile 6.5.
We have made this decision to reduce the complexity of our testing, so that we can deliver great features more frequently. If you have questions or concerns, please contact support.
Advanced warning: End of support for Internet Explorer 8 in JIRA 6.3
JIRA 6.3 ended support for Internet Explorer 8 (see announcement). JIRA Agile 6.5 will also end support for Internet Explorer 8. This means that Atlassian will not fix JIRA Agile bugs related to Internet Explorer 8 past the support end date. Some functionality may also not work as expected on Internet Explorer 8.
Enhanced reports will not work on Internet Explorer 8
Given that Internet Explorer 8 is not supported by JIRA 6.3 nor JIRA Agile 6.5, the enhanced reports introduced in this release will not work on Internet Explorer 8. These reports are the new Release Burndown, the new Epic Burndown and the enhanced Control Chart.
You will see a browser incompatibility message when you try to view these charts using Internet Explorer 8. In particular, please note that the Control Chart will not revert to the old version on Internet Explorer 8, like it did when this chart was a Labs feature.
Upgrading from GreenHopper 6.3.x or earlier to JIRA Agile 6.5
In addition to the points listed above, please read the Upgrade Notes for every version of JIRA Agile you are skipping.
- GreenHopper was renamed to JIRA Agile in JIRA Agile 6.3. From JIRA Agile 6.3.0 and later, you will see 'JIRA Agile' not 'Atlassian GreenHopper' in the Universal Plugin Manager.
- Re-index and restart JIRA after the upgrade, if you are upgrading from 5.9.7 or older
- If upgrading from GreenHopper 5.8.3, you must upgrade manually — download the JIRA Agile add-on separately (from the Atlassian Marketplace) and install the add-on file by upload, as described here: Installing add-ons. Note, this applies GreenHopper 5.8.3 only.
Before upgrading from JIRA Agile 6.3.x to JIRA Agile 6.5
Read the JIRA Agile 6.4 Upgrade Notes.
- Staging your upgrade for the sprint marker migration — Ensure that you read the '(Important) Changes to the Rank field' section in the JIRA Agile 6.4 Upgrade Notes. As noted in that section, upgrading to JIRA Agile 6.4 (or later versions) will trigger an automatic sprint marker migration for all boards.
If you use Scrum and future sprints, you may want to control the order of migration for your boards. In this case, we recommend that you upgrade to JIRA Agile 6.3 first, manually migrate your boards (by viewing each board in Plan Mode with a logged-in user, as described on Sprint Marker Migration), then upgrade from JIRA Agile 6.3 to JIRA Agile 6.5.
Before upgrading from JIRA Agile 5.7.x to JIRA Agile 6.3.x
Read the GreenHopper 5.8 Upgrade Notes.
- Updating your saved JIRA filters — Ensure that you read the 'Changes to Ranking' section in the GreenHopper 5.8 Upgrade Notes. As noted in that section. You need to manually update any saved JIRA filters that include the GreenHopper Rank custom field to use the new GreenHopper Global Rank field(s).
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!