Removing an Issue from a Sprint
You can remove an issue from a planned sprint, or from an active sprint that is currently in progress. Note that removing an issue from an active sprint will be shown as a 'scope change' event on the Burndown Chart for that sprint..
There are two different methods for removing an issue from a sprint.
- Remove an issue from a sprint via the board — This is the standard method for removing issues from a sprint.
- Edit the Sprint field for an issue — This is useful if you want to remove the issue from the sprint, but are not on the board (e.g. editing issue in JIRA).
Removing an issue from a sprint via the board
To remove an issue from a sprint:
- Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
- Your board will be displayed.
- Click either Backlog or Active sprints.
- Right-click the issue and select Remove from Sprint (see screenshot below).
Note that you cannot remove a sub-task from a sprint, as sub-tasks always belong to the same sprint as their parent.
Screenshot: removing an issue from an active sprint (in Active sprints)
Editing the Sprint field for an issue
You can remove issues from a sprint by doing the following:
- Edit the Sprint field for a single issue: Remove an issue to a sprint by editing the issue and deleting the value in the Sprint field. The Sprint field is available when editing the issue in both JIRA and JIRA Agile. Note, you may need to show the field on the 'Create Issue'/'Edit Issue' dialog — choose Configure Fields then select the Sprint field.
Note, if you are using JIRA Agile 6.3.8.x or earlier, you may need to configure your edit issue screen to show the Sprint field.
- Edit the Sprint field for multiple issues: Bulk edit issues and delete the value in the Sprint field, to remove multiple issues from sprints.
Screenshot: Editing the Sprint field for an issue
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!