Starting a Sprint
Once you have chosen which issues are to be included in your next sprint, you are ready to start the sprint.
This page only applies to Scrum boards.
Please note, you must have the JIRA 'Administer Projects' permission for all projects included in the board filter to start a sprint in that project. This applies even when respective sprint doesn't include issues from all projects.
To start a Sprint:
Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
- Click Backlog.
- Make sure the sprint footer (the grey horizontal marker) is positioned below the issues you want to include in your upcoming sprint. Drag it up or down, or drag issues up from the backlog, as needed.
Click Start Sprint.Why is Start Sprint disabled?
You will not be permitted to start a sprint, unless all of following conditions are met:
- You can only start a sprint if there is no active sprint. While a sprint is active in Work mode, you can still plan subsequent sprints in Plan mode, but you won't be able to start one until the active sprint is completed. (You can, however, drag and drop an issue in Plan mode onto the active sprint.)
- You will need to have the JIRA 'Administer Projects' permission in the project(s) included in the board. This means that if your board includes issues from multiple projects, you need to have the 'Administer Projects' permission in each of those projects.
- Ranking must be enabled on the board.
- Only the planned sprint at the top of the backlog can be started. If you want to start a sprint that is lower in the list, you'll need to Reorder the sprint to move it to the top of the backlog. (This doesn't apply when Parallel Sprints are enabled)
If you do not have an estimation statistic applied to an issue, you will receive a warning when starting the sprint (unless you are using Issue Count, as this is calculated automatically).
- Update the sprint details as desired, then click Start.
You will be taken to Active sprints, where your newly started sprint will now be shown.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!