Bitbucket Antivirus Exclusions
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only - This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
This article contains information on which Bitbucket directories should be added as excluded directories for Antivirus software. The default directories when installing Bitbucket as a service are listed below:
- Home directory: /var/atlassian/application-data/Bitbucket (Linux) and c:\Atlassian\ApplicationData\Bitbucket\version (Windows)
- Installation directory: /opt/atlassian/Bitbucket (Linux) and c:\Atlassian\Bitbucket\version (Windows)
The directories listed above may be different depending on what was chosen at the time of installation. It's possible to check the data and installation directories of the instance by going to:
- Home directory: Administration page --> Support --> Troubleshooting and support tools --> System Information tab --> Filesystem --> Home
- Installation directory: Administration page --> Support --> Troubleshooting and support tools --> System Information tab and search for bitbucket.install value.
Having Antivirus software run against Bitbucket's directories on the server can result in poor performance. We recommend that the following directories be excluded from scanning:
- Bitbucket installation directory and all its subdirectories.
- Bitbucket home directory and all its subdirectories.
Some antivirus software may continue to impact Bitbucket even if these folders are excluded. Depending on the issue, it may be necessary to run Bitbucket with your antivirus service disabled when investigating performance issues and other related problems. Whilst performing scanning and inspection of files, disk I/O and CPU usage can increase, thus slowing Bitbucket performance. In some cases, this reduction in performance can be dramatic and can even render Bitbucket impossible to use.