Invite and remove users
Migrating users from server to cloud products
If you're migrating your users from a server instance to a cloud site, take a look at our guides:
When you add a user to your Users list, you're inviting a user with that specific email address to your site. If the user with that email address has an Atlassian account, they'll now be able to log in to your site. If the user doesn't have an account, we'll walk them through the Atlassian account signup process. Although they're logged in to your site, their account exists outside your site so that they can use that same account to log in to other sites.
- Go to your site's Administration at admin.atlassian.com:
- If you're an admin for one site, you'll land on the Users page of your site.
- If you're an admin for multiple sites or an organization admin, click a site's name and URL to open the Administration for that site.
- Click in the sidebar or Invite users from the Users list page. You'll get this screen: > Invite a user
Enter the Email address you want the user to log in with (you can enter more than one at a time or a string of them using a space or comma).
If you add the wrong email address for a user
If you invite a user with a different email address from their Atlassian account email address, and they end up creating a new Atlassian account, they can't combine the two accounts. You'll need to re-invite the user with their original account and remove access for the other account. If they create any content while logged in with the second account, that content will still exist but will remain associated with their other account.
Select whether you would like to allow other users with this email domain to self signup by checking Allow accounts on the <domain> domain to join your site.
You won't see this option until you've entered an email address. For more information about allowing users to self signup, see Specify how users get site access.
Select the Permission that you'd like these users to have on your site:
- Basis – Can access specified products and apps. No additional permissions.
- Trusted – Can access, configure, and add products. Can invite users.
- Site administrator – Full admin permission for the site.
- Select products from the Application access list. When users get an invite, we'll add the user to the groups for the products you select, so you can always change them later.
- (Optional) Add the user to additional groups for your site.
(Optional) If you don't want to send the Invite message, deselect Send email.
When do users not receive an email invite?
We don't send users an email invitation in these scenarios:
If the user is migrated into the site (e.g. server to cloud migration)
If the user is created via GSync or SCIM
For these users, go to the Users page and click Resend invite to ensure these users get a invite.
- Click Invite user(s).
If you've linked Bitbucket accounts with Jira products, you can add new users to a Bitbucket group from the Bitbucket groups page.
Remove a user if you don't want them to appear on your site. Removing a user from one site, doesn’t remove them from your organization or other sites you manage.
To remove a user:
From your site's Administration, select Users.
From the user you want to remove, select Show details from the Actions column.
You may need to click the dropdown to see this option.
On the user details screen, click Remove user.