Archiving a Space
You can archive a space, so that its content is less visible but still available on your Confluence site. You need to be a space administrator to archive a space. You can change a space's status from archived to current at any time.
The effect of archiving a space
If a space is archived:
- The pages and other content do not appear in the Confluence quick navigation aid, which drops down when you enter text in the search box.
- By default, the pages and other content do not appear in the Confluence search results. If a Confluence site contains any archived spaces, the search screen will provide an option to include them in the search results.
- The space and its pages do not appear on the dashboard.
- Updates to the space's content do not appear in activity streams, such as the recent updates section of the dashboard.
- The space does not appear in space-selection dropdown menus. Similarly, its pages and other content do not appear in any dropdown menus in the Confluence user interface.
- In the space directory, the archived space will no longer appear in the general space lists. Archived spaces will appear on the 'archived spaces' tab. They will also appear on the category tabs, as determined by their labels.
These functions remain available for archived spaces:
Archiving a space
To archive a space:
- Go to the space and choose Space tools > Overview on the sidebar.
- Choose Edit Space Details.
- Select Archived in the Status dropdown menu.
- Choose Save.
If your space uses the Documentation theme:
- Choose Browse > Space Admin at the top of the screen.Note: The 'Space Admin' option appears only if you have space admin permissions for the space or you have System Administrator global permissions.
- The 'Edit Space Details' page displays. Select Archived in the Status dropdown menu.
- Choose Save.
Archiving a space has no effect on search results of external search engines. For example, the space will still appear in Google search results.
Screenshot: An archived space
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!