When you mention a user on a page, Confluence sends that person a notification by email and in their workbox.
Mentions (often known as @mentions) are great for drawing users attention to a page or comment, assigning tasks and clarifying responsibilities.
There are two ways to mention someone, using autocomplete, or via the Insert menu in the editor.
Using autocomplete to mention someone
To mention someone using '@':
- In the editor, type '@' then the first few characters of the person's name or username.
- Choose the user's name from the list of suggestions.
Screenshot: Autocomplete for mentions
Using the Insert menu to mention someone
To add a user mention via the editor toolbar:
- In the editor choose Insert > User Mention. Confluence will add an '@' sign to the page, and display a dropdown list of suggested users for you to choose from.
- Start typing the person's name or username, to refine the list of suggestions.
- Choose the person from the list of names.
Screenshot: The user mention option in the editor toolbar
Seeing your mentions in the Confluence workbox
When someone mentions you, you will receive a notification in the Confluence workbox. See Managing Notifications in Confluence.
- Disabling the user mention feature. The functionality is provided by a plugin called the 'Confluence Mentions Plugin'. To remove the user mention functionality from your site, you can disable the plugin. See Disabling or Enabling a Plugin.
- Mentioning groups. It is not possible to mention a group and then have the email sent to the entire group. You can only mention individual users. There is a feature request to allow mentions for groups: CONF-23015 - Extend 'Mentions' to work with groups as well Open
- Mentioning people in status updates. See User Status Updates.
- Linking to a user profile. You can use a square bracket '[' and a person's name to trigger Confluence autocomplete and link to a person's user profile or personal space. Confluence will send the person a notification just as if you had used @mention (unless the administrator has disabled the user mention feature).
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!