Installing a Confluence trial
Important changes to our server and Data Center products
We’ve ended sales for new Server licenses, and will end support for server on February 15, 2024. We’re continuing our investment in Data Center with several key improvements. Learn what this means for you
Want to get up and running with Confluence ASAP? This page will guide you through three simple steps to install and set up an evaluation Confluence site.
On this page:
If you're ready to set up a production Confluence site or you want more control, check out our full installation guides.
Before you begin
Our installers come with all the bits and pieces you need to run the application, but there's a few things you'll need to get up and running:
A computer or laptop with a supported operating system - you'll be installing Confluence so you'll need admin rights.
Supported operating systems...
You can install Confluence on a Windows or Linux operating system.
Apple Mac isn't supported for production sites, but if you're comfortable setting up applications on your Mac from scratch, you can download the
tar.gzfile and follow the instructions for Installing Confluence on Linux from Archive File as the process is similar.
A supported web browser - you'll need this to access Confluence, we support the latest versions of Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, and Microsoft Edge.
- A valid email address - you'll need this to generate your evaluation license and create an account.
Ready to get going? Let's start with grabbing the installer.
1. Download the installer
Head to www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/download and download the installer for your operating system.
2. Install Confluence
The installer allows you to choose Express or Custom installations.
The Custom installation allows you to pick some specific options for Confluence, but for this guide we'll use the Express installation.
- Run the installer - we recommend running with a Windows administrator account.
If prompted, make sure you allow the installer to make changes to your computer. This will allow you to install Confluence as a service.
- Choose Express Install, then click Next.
- Once installation is complete, it will ask you if you want to open Confluence in your browser. Make sure this option is selected then click Done.
- Confluence will open in your default browser, and you're ready to start the set up wizard.
Change to the directory where you downloaded Confluence then execute this command to make it executable:
$ chmod a+x atlassian-confluence-X.X.X-x64.bin
X.X.Xis is the Confluence version you downloaded.
Run the installer - we recommend using
sudoto run the installer as this will create a dedicated account to run Confluence and allow you to run Confluence as a service.
$ sudo ./atlassian-confluence-X.X.X-x64.bin
- When prompted, choose Express Install (option 1).
- Once installation is complete head to in your browser to begin the setup process.
3. Set up Confluence
The set up wizard is the last step in getting Confluence up and running. You'll need your email address to generate your evaluation license.
- Select Trial, and click Next.
This will allow Confluence to set up everything it needs to run, including an H2 database.
- Select Get an evaluation license then follow the prompts to generate your license.
- If you want to try some Confluence apps to give you more functionality, select the ones you want and click Next.
It will take a few minutes to get everything connected and operational.
- Select Manage users with Confluence, and click Next.
- Enter and confirm the details you want to use for your administrator account, and click Done.
That's it! You're ready to team up with some colleagues and start using Confluence!