Jira Service Desk: How do I create a conditional field?
Instructions on how to create a cascading field
Jira Service Desk offers the ability to create custom fields out of the box.
One of these field types is Cascading fields, which includes two related lists: a parent list of values, and a child list of values dependent on what is selected in the parent list.
This field type enables the possibility to create conditional fields.
Create your Cascading custom field:
- Navigate to your Jira custom fields based on the links above
- Create a new custom field of type Select List (Cascading) by entering the name and description of the field. Click Create.
- Choose the screen(s) that you would like to associate your Select List (Cascading) field with, and click Update.
Configure your Cascading custom field:
- Navigate to your Jira custom fields
- Scroll down to your newly created Cascading custom field, and from the (...) menu, select Configure.
- Under "Default Configuration Scheme" for your field, click Edit Options.
- With the parent list selected by default, enter your values for the first/parent list.
- After your parent lists have been created, you can switch between parent lists under "Choose parent list to edit" to add unique values for each child list.
Add your new cascading fields to a request form in your service desk's customer portal:
- Navigate to your Jira Service Desk customer portal settings
- Click Add a Field in the top right, and select the name of your cascading custom field
- To see your request form, click View this Request form in the top right.
- See Adding a custom field in Jira Cloud or Adding a custom field in Jira Server for more details on how to create a custom field and associate it with a screen.
- See Configuring request types for Jira Service Desk Cloud or Setting up Request types for Jira Service Desk Server for more details on how to add your new field to your portal