Clicking on links from MS Office opens 2 browser tabs when SAML SSO is enabled
This Knowledge Base article applies equally to both the Atlassian Server and Atlassian Cloud platforms.
When embedding a hyperlink to a Confluence page in Microsoft Office and clicking on it, 2 browser tabs are opened:
- 1 with the intended page
- 1 with a SAML login failure message
Confluence with SAML SSO enabled
Steps to Reproduce
Open MS Word, PowerPoint, etc
- Copy the URL of a Confluence page
- Paste this in the Office document
- Navigate to this link from the Office document by clicking on it or by holding down Ctrl + clicking on the link
- 2 browser tabs will open instead of the expected 1 tab
Microsoft has identified this issue and provides an explanation in their article You are redirected to a logon page or an error page, or you are prompted for authentication information when you click a hyperlink to a SSO Web site in an Office document
Please reference Microsoft's article for resolution steps: Error message when clicking hyperlink in Office: "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server"