Editing a page using Safari with Confluence 6.0.x fails with 'Loading the editor's taking longer than usual' message
After opening a collaborative editing session in Confluence 6.0.x in Safari you see "Loading the editor's taking longer than usual. Give it a few moments, then refresh your page if it still doesn't load. Speak to your Confluence admin if that doesn't fix it." as shown below:
You can, however, successfully edit pages in another browser like Chrome or Firefox.
- macOS with Safari
- Self-signed SSL certificate (or a certificate without a valid root CA chain)
- Enable the Develop menu in Safari
- Open Safari > Preferences
- Click Advanced tab
- Tick the box next to 'Show Develop menu in menu bar'
- Open the Console
If you are affected by this issue you will see the following error messages in the Safari console:
- WebSocket network error: OSStatus Error -9807: Invalid certificate chain
Safari does not support, most likely due to a bug, WebSocket connections that use a self-signed certificate.
Enable XHR Fallback
- Stop Confluence
Add the following to the Confluence system properties (following the steps for your operating system from Configuring System Properties):
- Start Confluence
Switch to a certificate provided by a certifying authority
- See Running Confluence Over SSL or HTTPS for more information