Statistics can help you track your management constraints such as hours, story points, etc. JIRA Agile allows you to view burndown, burnup and value charts, as well as markers, for each field giving you a number of visual aids to assist your planning.
The right-hand side of your JIRA Agile Classic Planning, Chart and Released Boards contains a 'Statistics Column', which displays 'boxed' summaries of data that relate to the current board being viewed and the board's viewing mode.
- On the Classic Planning Board, each box relates to an individual Planning Board mode (that is, 'Project Overview', 'Version', 'Assignee' or 'Component' — see Using Classic Planning Board Modes for more information).
- On the Classic Chart and Classic Released Boards, each box relates to an individual version (see Using the Classic Chart Board and Using the Classic Released Board for more information).
Custom statistics are displayed at the bottom of each box. Custom statistics are number fields that have been configured as custom statistics for the project by the project administrator. For example, if you want to record story points against each issue, you would configure a custom statistic called 'Story Points'. Users can then add 'Story Points' as a marker on their Planning Board (see Using Statistical Markers to Group Issues).
If you are using the 'Scrum' template, custom statistics called Story Points and Business Value will be created for you automatically.
Using the Statistics Column
To select a box, click inside it and once selected, the box turns yellow. The content on the rest of the Board you are viewing will be updated to show the data associated with that box.
- 'Add' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode and Chart Board only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to create a new version. Read more in Adding a Version.
- 'Statistics' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode and Chart Board only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to configure statistics displayed in the boxes in this column. Read more in Configuring a Custom Statistic.
- 'Collapse' — Click the icon to show only the title of each box in the Statistics column.
- 'Expand' — Click the icon to show the full details for each box in the Statistics column.
- 'Hide' — Click the icon to hide the Statistics column and display the 'Issues' section of the Board in full screen width.
- Name ('Version', 'Assignee', 'Component', 'Project Overview' modes only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover this area of the selected box) to edit the version or component name.
- Actions menu — Click the icon (which will appear at the top right of the selected box when you hover over this area) to display a drop-down menu. This drop-down menu can contain the following items. Be aware that some of these are not available on certain Boards:
- 'Toggle visibility' — Click to show/hide the current box in the Statistics column.
- 'Issue Navigator' — Click to go to the JIRA Issue Navigator.
- 'Go to Task Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Task Board.
- 'Go to Planning Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Planning Board.
- 'Go to Chart Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Chart Board.
- 'Non Working Days' ('Version' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to edit the Non Working Days for a specific version. (Note: to edit the Non Working Days for all of the Classic boards, see Specifying your JIRA Agile General Configuration.)
- 'Print Cards' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode only) — Click to print the displayed issues. For details please see Printing Issues in Card Form.
- 'Print Chart' (Chart and Released Boards only) — Click to print the currently viewed chart.
- 'Excel (Chart Data)' ('Hour Burndown Chart' on the Chart Board only) — Click to download a csv version of the chart's data.
You may need to refresh the contents of the chart board first in order to see this menu option.
- 'Release' ('Version' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to release the version. A snapshot of all of the charts associated with this version will also be captured (before any issues are swapped). You will be able to access these snapshots via your Released Board.
If the version contains unfinished issues, you will be prompted to either ignore them and proceed with the release, or move the unfinished issues to another version of your choice.
- 'Recompute' (Released Board only; 'Project Overview' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to refresh the Released Board. (Note: the Project Overview is the only chart that is stored statically; all other charts are generated dynamically.)
- 'Create Wallboard' (Planning Board only; 'Project Overview' mode only) — Click to create a Wallboard.
- A Wallboard will be created with the name '<Project name> (autogenerated)' and displayed. Your wallboard is a new page on your (see Customising the JIRA Dashboard), and will contain:
- Select 'View as Wallboard' from the 'Tools' drop-down on your , and stare in awe at your fresh new wallboard. For optimal use of screen real-estate, enter full-screen mode on your browser (F11 in Firefox 3.6 and Chrome 5; Safari requires a plugin to enable full-screen mode) and refresh. Wallboards are optimised for 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 screens, but should work in some other resolution modes.
- Progress of the version ('Version' mode only) — the green bar indicates the percentage of issues that are complete, the yellow bar indicates the percentage of issues in progress, the red bar indicates the percentage of issues that have not been started. Hover over the bar to see the exact percentages. Click on a coloured section of the bar to be taken to the JIRA Issue Navigatorfor the full list of issues in that colour.
- 'Parent' ('Version' & 'Component' modes only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to choose the parent version or component for the version. All issues under the version/component will also be a subset of the parent version/component, e.g. 'Version 1' could be set as the parent version of 'Version 1 milestone 1'. Read more in Setting Up a Component Hierarchy and Setting Up a Version Hierarchy.
- 'Start date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the start date for the version.
- 'End date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the end date for the version.
Tip: The start date and end date are used to compute the various Classic charts.
- 'Release date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the JIRA release date for the version.
- Issue Type statistics — A summary of the number of issues of each type.
- Statistics based on the Task Board mapping — A summary of the number of issues in each status (based on the Mappings that your administrator has specified in the Task Board Settings).
- Time-tracking statistics:
- 'Time Remaining' — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to specify maximum and minimum limits for the amount of time remaining.
- Custom statistics — Displayed if any custom statistics have been created by the project administrator. (The red numbers, if shown, indicate that a statistic's constraint has been exceeded.) If custom statistics exist, you can click the icon to add them as markers on your Planning Board (see Using Statistical Markers to Group Issues).
Tip: Boxes that relate to child versions or components are attached below their parent version or component and are represented with a right-indented arrow, as shown by the 'Hardening Sprint' example in the screenshot above.
Configuring a Custom Statistic
To add a custom statistic for your project,
To configure a custom statistic for your project,
To remove a custom statistic from your project,
Screenshot: Configuring Statistics