JIRA Agile provides you with a number of settings that you can configure for each of your projects.
To configure the general settings for a project,
- Log in as a user with the 'Administer Project' permission for the project.
- Select Agile > Classic in the top navigation bar. Then select Classic Planning Board from the drop-down below the project name.
- Click the 'Tools' menu and click 'Configuration' from the dropdown. The project configuration page will display (see screenshot below).
- Select your project from the project dropdown (above 'Project Configuration'), if it is not already selected. The 'General' configuration settings for your project will display. These settings will be listed under the following headings:
Please note: all changes made on the 'General' settings page are applied immediately.
Screenshot: Configuring JIRA Agile's 'General' Project Settings
Every JIRA Agile Classic project has configurations which are derived from a project template. Project templates make it quick and easy to set up and maintain JIRA Agile projects with your preferred project configuration settings, which include ranking and flagging fields, card styles and a Task Board mapping.
JIRA Agile allows you to choose between two project template settings 'Default' and 'Scrum':
- Default template — This sets the current project's configuration settings to those of the global 'Default' project template settings.
- Scrum template — This sets the current project's configuration settings to those of the global 'Scrum' project template settings. Once you have chosen the 'Scrum' template, your users can start creating Epics and Stories in the project, and ranking them.
Tip: You have the flexibility to configure the JIRA Agile 'Default' template and/or the JIRA Agile'Scrum' template to your organisation's needs — please see the documentation on Specifying your Project Templates. Further, individual projects can override the templates to suit their requirements — please see the sections below on Ranking Fields and Flagging Fields.
If JIRA Agile is unable to match configurations from one template to another, for example, as a result of very specific issue type customisations, then a warning message will be displayed.
A ranking field is essentially a JIRA Agile-specific custom field that you can use to rank your issues. The ranking field will be made available in the 'Sort by' drop down of your contexts. This will allow you to view your issues ordered by rank and prioritise them by drag and drop.
If you have used the 'Scrum' template, a Ranking Field will be automatically configured for you.
To configure the ranking field for a project (if your project is not using the Scrum template),
- Select the desired ranking field in the dropdown.
Only custom fields of type "Global Rank" will be available in this dropdown.
- Click the 'Add field' link to add the field as the ranking field for JIRA Agile. The dropdown will disappear and the name of your ranking field will be displayed as text.
Each of your users will now need to go to JIRA Agile, edit the Context (or create a new one if necessary), using the Context dropdown and mark it sorted by the Ranking custom field you created. For details, see Ranking Issues in JIRA Agile Classic.
Screenshot: Creating a new Context
Screenshot: Sorting the Context by the Ranking custom field
Your users should now be able to drag and drop cards, and the order will adjust the Ranking custom field value.
A flagging field is used in projects to notify of impediments on issues (i.e. you can flag an issue which needs attention). Issues are flagged using a pre-specified value of either a Multi Checkbox or Multi Select custom field, that has been assigned as the flagging field. You can choose which custom field to use as the flagging field and the value that is assigned when an issue is flagged.
To configure the flagging field for a project,
- Select the desired custom field to use as the flagging field from the dropdown in the 'Flagging field' section. The 'Field Value' dropdown will display.
Only Multi Select and Multi Checkbox custom fields will be available in this drop down. Ensure the custom field is configured with a value. Also, only the first value of the custom field will be visible in JIRA Agile.
- Select the desired value to assign to issues when flagged in the 'Field Value' dropdown.
If no flagging fields are available for your project,
- Your JIRA administrator will need to add and configure at least one 'Multi Select' custom field via the JIRA 'Administration' menu. For detailed instructions please see the documentation on JIRA custom fields.
- You must associate your ranking field with all issue types within a project.
Read about Flagging an Issue in JIRA Agile Classic.
The general setup options for your project are described below:
- 'Scheduling Permission' — Check this checkbox to override the 'Resolve Issues' permission (i.e. 'Fix for version' permission) with the JIRA permission. Users will then need to have the 'Schedule Issues' permission to drag and drop cards into version boxes.
- 'Card Creation' — Check this checkbox to allow the creation of cards via JIRA Agile. If you uncheck this checkbox, the creation of cards via JIRA Agile will be locked.
- 'Time Aggregation' — Select this check box to allow aggregation of time tracking fields between the parents and their sub-tasks in JIRA Agile.
- 'Auto assign' — Automatically assign issues to new users when transitioning issues on the Classic Task Board.
To increase the accuracy of the charts you can identify the non-working days for your project (e.g. Saturday and Sunday). These days will simply be withdrawn from the charts. In the case where worklogs are entered in a non working day, these worklogs will be associated to the previous working day to be reflected in the charts.
If any non-working days have been specified in JIRA Agile's global configuration settings page, then these days will appear in the Non-Working Days sections of all General Project Configuration pages and cannot be deleted.