Ranking an issue alters its relative priority within its current column and swimlane. Ranking your issues helps you to organise tasks in your product/sprint backlog more effectively.
Rankings allow you to prioritise issues at a more granular level than issue, as rankings can help you to determine whether a single issue is more important/urgent than another single issue. For example, you may have two separate issues which both have a priority of 'Major'. Using JIRA Agile ranking, you can assign one of the issues a higher ranking than the other.
To rank an issue in the Backlog (Scrum boards only):
- Click Backlog.
- Rank an issue by dragging and dropping it to a higher or lower position in the backlog (see Screenshot 1 below);
Send multiple issues to the top or bottom of the backlog by selecting them (Shift>Click or Ctrl>Click) and right-clicking (see Screenshot 2 below).
To rank an issue in the Active sprints/Kanban board:
- Click Active sprints (Scrum board) / Kanban board (Kanban board).
- Rank an issue by dragging and dropping it to a higher or lower position within its current column (see Screenshot 3 below).
If an issue has sub-tasks that are in the same column and swimlane as itself, the sub-tasks will be shown in a group below the issue.
- When you rank an issue that has sub-tasks, all of the sub-tasks that are currently grouped with that issue will be automatically moved with it.
- Sub-task issues can only be ranked in relation to their 'sibling' issues.
Tips and notes:
You can also use Keyboard Shortcuts 's' + 'b' to move an issue to the bottom of its current column, or 's' + 't' to move it to the top.
- You can only rank issues if ranking has been enabled — see Enabling Ranking.
- You can only rank issues if you have the 'Schedule Issue' permission for the issue you want to move higher or lower on your board.
Screenshot 1: Dragging and dropping an issue in the backlog (on the Backlog screen)
Screenshot 2: Right-clicking select issues to send them to the top/bottom of the backlog (on the Backlog screen)
Screenshot 3: Dragging and dropping an issue within a column (in the Active sprints/Kanban board)