A JIRA Agile (Greenhopper) user may encounter an error screen similar to what is shown below when trying to access Classic Boards from the agile menu. This occurs when certain projects are selected.
Also, it appears the occurrences of this problem are usually after an upgrade.
Also, the JIRA logs contain the following:
MethodInvocationException occurred getting message body from Velocity: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira.configurations.UserBoardsPreferences.<init>(UserBoardsPreferences.java:66) ...
- You may try to review the affected projects through JIRA Administration menu > Projects, you should find that the project lead is set to anonymous or a user that no longer exists in JIRA.
- Deleting content of Tomcat work directory, clearing Index and Plugin Caches, and re-indexing JIRA doesn't resolve the problem
- Running the Integrity Checker may not show any errors to fix, or show errors that doesn't help resolve the problem when fixed.
This is usually caused by an invalid Project Lead (perhaps a user that no longer exists in JIRA) being associated with a project used in the classic boards.
- You may be able to simply set a new valid project lead for this project from the JIRA UI and this should fix the problem.
- In certain cases, attempting to set the project lead via the JIRA interface will also result in an error. In this case you may need to do this from the database. Please take the following steps:
update project set lead='username' where pname='project name';