After you install the Java Development Kit in Windows, you must set the JAVA_HOME variable to the install directory.
Stage 1. Locate Install Directory
If you already know the install path for the Java or Software Development Kit, go to Stage 2. Otherwise, find the install path by following these instructions:
- Unless you changed the install path for the Java Developement Kit during installation, it will be in a directory under
C:\Program Files\Java. Using Explorer, open the directory
- Inside that path will be one or more subdirectories such as
jdk1.5.0_08. If you just installed the Java Development Kit, it will be installed to the newest directory, which you can find by sorting by date. For example, it may be installed in
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_08. This is the install path.
Stage 2. Apply Setting
Once you have identified the JDK install path:
- Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and select properties
- Click the Advanced Tab
- Click the Environment Variables button
- Under System Variable, click New
- Enter the variable name as
- Enter the variable value as the install path for the Development Kit
- Click OK
- Click Apply Changes
- If you are running Confluence as a EAR/WAR rather than the Standalone, you may need to restart your application server
This diagram shows setting the
JAVA_HOMEvariable to an install path of
If you came here from Installing Confluence Standalone, go back and begin Stage 3.