To create a page, you need the 'Create Pages' permission which is assigned by a space administrator from the Space Administration screens. See space permissions or contact a space administrator for more information.
You can also read more about writing pages.
There are few ways to add a new page, described in more detail below:
Using the Add Page Option
To add a page:
To add a new page:
- Go to any page in the space.
- Choose Add > Page.
The 'Add Page' links are only displayed if you have permission to create pages for the space.
- Enter a name (title) for your page.
- Optionally, you can base the content of your new page on a page template. Click the link labelled 'Select a page template to start from'. For more details about using a template, see Creating a Page using a Template.
- By default, Confluence will add the page as a child of the page you are viewing. If you need to move the new page to a different space or a different parent, you can edit the 'Location'. Refer to the instructions on moving a page.
- Enter content for your page using Wiki Markup or the Rich Text editor. See Writing Confluence Pages.
- Click 'Preview' if you want to see a preview of what the page will look like before saving it.
- Click 'Save'.
Using an Undefined Link to Create a Page
In Confluence, you can add a link which points to a page that you intend to create later. You might also use such a link to prompt other Confluence users to create pages. This type of link is called an undefined link.
To add an undefined link for later creation of a page:
- Add a link, by typing a page name between angle brackets
''into your page body, specifying the name of a page which does not exist. See example below.
- Save the page which contains the undefined link. Confluence indicates undefined links by colouring them red.
- When you (or another user) click on the link, the 'Add Page' screen appears.
- You can then follow the steps outlined above to enter the page name, add content and save the page.
Here is an example of an undefined link:
What you need to type
What you will get
[Link to new page]
Screenshot above: Adding a page
Notes about Page names
- Confluence does not accept the following characters in the title of a page:
- A page must not start with the following characters:
- Page names must be unique within a space.
We are aware that this is a limitation, and there's a feature request at CONF-5926. If you like, you can vote for this feature and add yourself as a watcher for future updates. You can also vote for the improvement request CONF-9458 to remove the restrictions on characters.
Importing an Office Document into One or More Confluence Pages
The Office Connector allows you to import a Word document into Confluence, optionally creating one or more new pages. See Importing an Office Document into Confluence.
Creating a Page using a Template
Writing Confluence pages
Confluence Notation Guide Overview
Editing an Existing Page
Working with Page Families
Working with the Office Connector
Take me back to Confluence User's Guide