JIRA 4.0 is the first major Atlassian application that can incorporate OpenSocial-compliant gadgets, such as Confluence gadgets onto its dashboard. This page explains how to add a Confluence gadget to the dashboard of a JIRA 4.0+ installation.
To add a Confluence gadget to a JIRA dashboard, complete the steps below.
Creating an Application Link between Confluence and JIRA
If your Confluence gadgets need to access user-restricted Confluence data, then your Confluence administrator must first establish an Application Link between your Confluence site and the JIRA site.
If you only need to access anonymously accessible Confluence data, then you can skip the section about adding an Application Link, and go directly to Finding a Confluence Gadget's URL, below.
Finding a Confluence Gadget's URL
A gadget's URL points to the gadget's XML specification file. These URLs look something like this:
To find a Confluence gadget's URL:
- Choose the help icon at top right of the screen, then choose Available Gadgets.
- Find the gadget you want.
- Copy the Gadget URL link to your clipboard.
Screenshot: Finding a gadget's URL
Adding a Confluence gadget to JIRA's gadget directory
To add a Confluence gadget to the gadget directory in JIRA:
- Go to the dashboard by clicking Dashboard at the top left of the screen.
- The dashboard will appear. Click Add Gadget.
- The 'Add Gadget' screen appears, showing the list of gadgets in your directory. See screenshot 1 below. Click Add Gadget to Directory.
Note: You will only see this button if you have system administrator permissions in JIRA.
- The 'Add Gadget to Directory' screen appears. See screenshot 2 below. Paste the gadget URL (which you copied to your clipboard above) into the text box.
- Click Add Gadget.
- The gadget appears in your gadget directory. (It will be highlighted for a short time, so that you can see it easily.)
Screenshot 1: Gadget directory with 'Add Gadget to Directory' button
Screenshot 2: Adding a gadget to the directory
Adding a Confluence gadget to the JIRA dashboard
In the procedure below, 'your Atlassian dashboard' and 'your Atlassian application' refers to the JIRA dashboard and application, respectively.
You can add a gadget from the directory of gadgets that are available to your Atlassian application.
To add a gadget to your Atlassian dashboard,
Screenshot 1: An Atlassian dashboard
Screenshot 2: Adding a gadget from the gadget directory
- You need administrator privileges to add a gadget to the list of available gadgets. If you have permission to add gadgets to and remove gadgets from the directory itself, you will see the 'Add Gadget to Directory' and 'Remove' buttons on the 'Add Gadget' screen, as shown in the screenshot about. Please refer to the Gadgets and Dashboards Administration Guide.
- In Atlassian OnDemand products, it is not possible for administrators to add gadgets to the directory. If you would like to add an Atlassian gadget to a directory, please contact Atlassian Support.