- Highlight the text you want to comment on
- Choose the add comment button that appears above the highlighted text
- Type your comment and choose Save
The selected text will appear with a yellow highlight indicating an inline comment; choose any highlighted text on the page to display the related comment(s).
Inline comments might look simple, but they support rich text – like bold, underline, and italics – links, and @mentions. Just like page and blog post comments, others can reply to, or like, your inline comments, and you'll be notified when they do.
You can also resolve inline comments once the conversation's finished, and reopen them at any time if they're needed.
If you don't see a popup when you highlight text, check that Text Select is enabled in your profile settings.
View and reopen resolved comments
If you want to view and/or reopen resolved comments on a page or blog post, choose > Resolved comments, then choose Reopen.
Link to a comment
You can link directly to a comment on a page. See Working with Links for more information.
- Add a comment – You need the 'Add Comments' permission in the space.
- Edit a comment – You need the 'Add Comments' permission. can edit all comments within their space. The date on a comment always indicates the time the comment was last edited.
- Delete a comment – You need the 'Remove Comments' permission. Deleted comments cannot be restored. If you don't have the 'Remove Comments' permission, you can delete your own comments, but only if there are no replies to your comment.
- Disable comments – If you don't want comments in a particular space, remove the 'Add Comments' permission from the 'confluence-users' or 'users' group, anonymous users and all other users and groups. The option to add comments will no longer appear on pages or blog posts in that space.
See Space permissions for more information. There is no permission that controls comments across the entire site.
- Choose Watch at the top-right of the page to receive an email notification whenever anyone edits or adds a comment to the page.
- On blog posts only, an 'Author' lozenge will appear on any comments made by the original author of the post.
- It's not possible to delete all comments on a page simultaneously, or change the order of comments.