Customising the Confluence email templates is not supported. If you do decide to edit the templates we strongly recommend you use a test instance of Confluence.
Any customisations you make to the Confluence email notification templates will need to be reapplied after upgrading Confluence.
Email notification templates are contained within the
confluence-email-notifications plugin, which is a bundled plugin (add-on) that is installed automatically when you install Confluence.
Only administrators with access to the Confluence installation directory can modify the Confluence email templates.
Confluence uses Soy templates (also known as Closure templates) for email notifications. You can find out more in the Google Developer docs or see our developer tutorial which contains a short introduction to using Soy templates.
To change the email notification templates:
- In the Confluence web application folder, find the file
Note: This plugin is independently versioned, the version number will not necessarily match Confluence's version number.
- Copy this file to a working location and extract the jar file. Find out more about how to edit files within .jar archives.
- Within the jar file, templates are stored in the
/templates/folder. Edit the Soy templates to make your changes.
- Zip all the files and change the file extension to .jar (or refer to the guide on editing files within .jar archives for other methods).
- In your Confluence test instance go to > Add-ons and upload your new jar file.
- Test your changes carefully before installing the updated plugin in production.
We strongly recommend you use a test instance for editing the templates contained within the plugin. If you are unable to enable the plugin, check the Confluence logs for information, it may be that there are problems with your edits to the Soy templates.