The Office Connector allows you to edit attached office files in their native application (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint or OpenOffice) and save the file right back to the Confluence page. No need to download and re-upload the file.
The Office Connector is only available for some browsers, operating systems and applications, check the Office Connector Prerequisites before you start for the combination that will work best for you.
Editing an attached document
To edit an Office document attached to a Confluence page:
- Go to > Attachments
- Choose Edit in Office beside the attachment you want edit.
Your browser will ask you to confirm that you want to open the file.
You may also see a security warning or be asked to log in to your Confluence server - enter your Confluence username and password, then choose OK.
- The file will open in your Office application - make your changes then save the document. It will be saved back to Confluence
Screenshot: Edit in Office option on the attachments page
Other ways to edit
Edit options also appear when a page has:
- an Attachments macro (choose Edit in Office beside each attached office file)
- the Office Word macro or the Office Excel macro (choose Edit Document at the top of the embedded content)
- the Office PowerPoint macro (choose the edit icon at the bottom of the viewer).
Screenshots: Edit links on embedded files
Check out the Office Connector Prerequisites for the combinations of browsers, operating systems and office applications that are supported. Here's some common issues:
- Using Chrome? You can't edit Office documents as Chrome does not support WebDAV clients. See CONF-23322 Open
- Using Firefox? You'll need to install the WebDAV add-on. See Installing the Firefox Add-On for the Office Connector.
- Using Internet Explorer? You can only edit documents in Microsoft Office. OpenOffice is not supported.
- Using Linux? You can only edit documents in OpenOffice. Microsoft Office is not supported. See CONF-17250 Open .
- Using Mac OS X? You can't currently edit documents. See CONF-25594 Open .
Not seeing the Office Connector options? Your system administrator may have disabled all or part of the Office Connector.See Configuring the Office Connector.
You can find more troubleshooting info in the Office Connector Limitations and Known Issues knowledge base article.