You can export part of, or the entire contents of, a Confluence space into a zipped archive of XML files and attachments. This is useful if you want to make a backup of the space, or import the space into another Confluence site, or use the data from the space in another application.
To export a space or pages to XML, you need the 'Export Space' permission. See Space Permissions.
- See Restoring a Space for notes on restrictions when importing a space.
- If you are doing the export for backup purposes, consider another means of backup. See Production Backup Strategy
To export pages or an entire space to XML:
- Go to the space and choose Space tools > Content Tools on the sidebar.
- Choose Export
Note: This option will only be visible if you have the 'Export Space' permission.
- Select XML then choose Next.
- Decide whether you need to customise the export:
- Select Full Export to produce an XML file containing all the pages in the space, including those that you do not have permission to view.
- Select Custom Export if you want to export a subset of pages, or to exclude comments from the export.
- Select Include Comments if you want to include comments made on the pages you are exporting.
- Select the pages you want to export.
- You have the option to Select All or Deselect All pages.
- When you select a page, all its child pages will also be selected. Similarly, when you deselect a page all its child pages will also be deselected.
- Choose Export. This will create a zipped archive of XML files and attachments.
- When the export process has finished, download and save the zipped archive file as prompted.
If your space uses the Documentation theme:
- Choose Browse > Space Operations.
- Choose XML Export from the left-hand panel.
- Follow the steps above to export the space.
Screenshot: Exporting a space
If you are running Confluence behind Apache HTTP Server and are facing timeout errors, please consider creating the export directly from Tomcat, instead of going through Apache. This will speed up the process and prevent timeouts.