The Planning Board is a view of the JIRA issues assigned to a particular project that helps you track the progress of the project. Issues are represented as cards, colour-coded according to issue type (e.g. Story, Bug, Task, Improvement, etc) in the default view. Version, component and assignee information is summarised in panels on the Planning Board as well, allowing you to quickly gauge the sprint backlogs and product backlog.
You can also manage issues via the Planning Board. Issues can be easily scheduled and prioritised by dragging and dropping them. Links are also available to common JIRA tasks, like adding, updating and deleting issues.
To view the planning board for your project,
Screenshot: GreenHopper Planning Board (click to view larger image)
The screenshot above shows an example Planning Board. To learn more about each part of the planning board, please see the sections below and the documentation linked from those sections.
Planning Board — Navigation BarGliffy
1. 'New card' — Click to create a new card (i.e. issue).
2. 'Hide Sub-tasks' — Click to hide sub-tasks from your planning board.
3. Project dropdown — Select the project to view in your planning board.
4. Viewing Mode dropdown — Select the viewing mode for your planning board. Read more about viewing modes in Using Planning Board Modes to View Issues.
5. Viewing Mode sub-dropdown — Select the sub-category of the viewing mode for your planning board. Read more about viewing modes in Using Planning Board Modes to View Issues.
6. Favourite — Click the star icon to choose the selected project as a favourite.
7. 'Context' — Select the issues context from the dropdown. Click the 'New' link to create a new context. Read more about contexts in Using Contexts to Filter and Highlight Issues.
8. 'My Issues' — Check this checkbox to filter the planning board for issues that are assigned to you only.
9. Board search — Find an issue on your planning board by entering your search criteria and pressing the Enter key on your keyboard.
10. 'Views' menu — Click to display the issue views and click the desired issue view in the menu. Read more about issue views in Viewing Issues in GreenHopper.
11. 'Tools' menu — Click to display the options listed below and click the desired option:
- 'Context' — Click to display context information on your planning board. Read more in Using Contexts to Filter and Highlight Issues.
- 'User Preferences' — Click to display your user preferences on your planning board. Read more in Setting User Preferences for the Planning Board.
- 'Legend' — Click to display the issue type legend on your planning board. The legend displays the issue type-card colour associations for easy reference.
- 'Auto Refresh' — Click to enable auto-refresh for the planning board.
- 'Full Screen' — Click to view GreenHopper in full screen in your browser, i.e. no header.
- 'Synchronise' — Click to synchronise components and versions for your project. Read more in Synchronising Versions and Components for your Issues.
- 'Configuration' — Click to configure your GreenHopper project settings. Read more in Configuring your GreenHopper Project Settings.
Planning Board — IssuesGliffy
12. Issue type of your issue, e.g. Task, Bug, Improvement, etc.
13. Issue key of your issue — Click to view the details for this issue.
14. Add sub-tasks (this icon will appear when you hover over the issue) — Click this icon to add a sub-task to your issue (sub-tasks must be enabled).
15. Edit issue (this icon will appear when you hover over the issue) — Click to edit this issue.
16. Flagged issue:
This issue is flagged as a blocker.
This issue was resolved in a sub version that has been released, but it is still shown in the master version as it is listed in that version as well.
Planning Board — Project Overview/Versions/Components/AssigneesGliffy
The boxes in this column will change depending on the viewing mode selected (see point 5 above). The image above shows an example of the 'Version' viewing mode. Read more about about viewing modes on Using Planning Board Modes to View Issues.
17. 'Manage' — Click to manage the project, users, components or versions.
18. 'Stats' — Click to configure statistics displayed in the boxes in this column. Read more in Viewing and Configuring Statistics via your Planning Board.
19. ('Version', 'Component', 'Project Overview' modes only) Name — Click the icon to edit the project, version or component name.
20. ('Version' mode only) Progress of the version — the green bar indicates the percentage of issues that are complete, the yellow bar indicates the percentage of issues in progress, the red bar indicates the percentage of issues that have not been started. Hover over the bar to see the exact percentages.
21. ('Version' mode only) Navigator View/Task Board/Chart Board —
- Click the icon for the issue navigator view.
- Click the icon for the task board view.
- Click the icon for the chart board view.
22. ('Version' & 'Component' modes only) 'Master' — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover) to choose the master version for the version. All issues under the version will also be a subset of the master version, e.g. 'Version 1' could be set as the master version of 'Version 1 milestone 1'.
23. ('Version' mode only) 'Release' — Click to release the version. Note that if you use this link when you release a version, charts will be saved for use on the Released Board. However, if you release the version via JIRA the charts will not be available.
- Using Planning Board Modes to View Issues
- Viewing and Configuring Statistics via your Planning Board
- Using Statistical Markers to Group Issues
- Using Contexts to Filter and Highlight Issues
- Setting Up a Component Hierarchy
- Setting Up a Version Hierarchy
- Managing Versions via your Planning Board
- Setting User Preferences for the Planning Board
- Working with Epics