The Planning Board is a view of the JIRA issues assigned to a particular project, that helps you track the progress of the project. Issues are represented as cards, colour-coded according to issue type (e.g. Story, Bug, Task, Improvement, etc). Version, component and assignee information is summarised at the right of the Planning Board, allowing you to quickly gauge the sprint backlogs and product backlog.
You can also manage cards (issues) via the Planning Board. Issues can be easily scheduled and prioritised by dragging and dropping them. You can also perform common JIRA tasks, such as adding, updating and deleting issues.
To view the planning board for your project,
Screenshot: GreenHopper Planning Board (click to view larger image)
The screenshot above shows an example Planning Board. To learn more about each part of the Planning Board, please see the sections below and the documentation linked from those sections.
Planning Board — Navigation BarGliffy
- Project dropdown — Select the project whose issues you wish to view.
- Context dropdown — Select the context by which to filter issues ('Default', 'On the fly', or other contexts you have created). You can also select 'Manage' to edit your existing contexts, or 'New' to create a new context. Read more about contexts in Using Contexts to Filter and Highlight Issues.
- Refresh icon — Click the icon to reload the contents of the Planning Board.
- Board dropdown — Select another GreenHopper board to view (Task Board, Chart Board or Released Board).
- Viewing Mode dropdown — Select the viewing mode for your Planning Board:
- Viewing Mode sub-dropdown — Select the sub-category of the viewing mode. Read more about viewing modes in Using Planning Board Modes.
- 'New Card' — Click the 'New' link to create a new card (i.e. issue). For details see Creating an Issue in GreenHopper.
- 'Views' dropdown — Select from the following:
- 'Cards' — Displays a detailed view of every issue. Read more about the 'Cards' view in Viewing Issues in GreenHopper.
- 'Summaries' — Displays a compact view of every issue. Read more about the 'Summaries' view in Viewing Issues in GreenHopper.
- 'List' — Displays a table with one issue per line. Read more about the 'List' view in Viewing Issues in GreenHopper.
- 'Full Screen' — Hides the JIRA header so as to fit more cards on the screen.
- 'Tools' dropdown — Select from the following:
- 'Legend' — Displays the Issue Type legend on your Planning Board for easy reference. The legend displays the card colour that is associated with each Issue Type.
- 'Bulk Change' — Enables you to change multiple issues at once. See Modfying Multiple ('Bulk') Issues.
- 'Auto Refresh' — Enables auto-refresh for the Planning Board.
- 'User Preferences' — Displays your user preferences for editing. Read more in Managing your User Preferences.
- 'Synchronise' (Visible to administrators only) — Synchronises components and versions for your project. Read more in Synchronising Versions and Components for your Issues.
- 'Configuration' (Visible to administrators only) — Opens the GreenHopper Project Configuration screen. Read more in Configuring your GreenHopper Project Settings.
Planning Board — Issues
- Filters — Click the icon to display check-boxes for the following filters, which you can click to refine the collection of displayed cards:
- 'Only My Issues' — Only display issues which are assigned to you.
- 'Hide Done Issues' — Only display issues which have not yet been resolved.
- 'Hide Sub-tasks' — Only display issues which are not sub-tasks of other issues.
- 'Only Pending Issues' — (Planning Board only) Exclude any issues that are part of a child version or component.
When at least one filter is applied to a board, the Filter icon appears filled:
'Quick Filters' only affect the cards that appear on the current board. Unlike context filters, these filters do not affect the values presented in the Statistics Column.
- Pagination — Click a page-number to go to the desired page.
- Released — The icon indicates that this issue was resolved in a sub version that has been released, but it is still shown in the parent version as it is assigned to that version as well.
- Sub-tasks — Click to display a dialog box showing the issue's sub-tasks. You can drag-and-drop subtasks within this box to re-order them.
- Flagged — The icon indicates that this issue has been flagged for special attention.
- Issue Type and Priority — These two icons indicate the Type of this issue (e.g. Task, Bug, Improvement, etc) and its Priority (e.g. Critical, Major, Minor).
Click the icon (which will appear when you hover over the Issue Type or Priority icons) to display a drop-down menu containing:
- Update Priority --— Click to edit the Priority field for this issue.
- Add Sub-task — Click to add a sub-task to this issue (if sub-tasks are enabled).
- Edit in JIRA — Click to open the JIRA 'Edit Issue' screen, on which all issue fields are available for editing.
- Flag as Impediment — Click to flag this issue for special attention.
- Comment — Click to quickly add a comment to this issue.
- Delete — Click to delete this issue.
- Issue Key --— Click to view the details for this issue.
- Editable Fields — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover) to edit the following fields:
- Fix Version
- 'Work Logged' (if applicable) — the amount of time that has been spent on this issue (if time-tracking has been enabled in JIRA). Click to log work on this issue.
Planning Board — Statistics ColumnThe Statistics Column is available on the right-hand side of the Planning Board, Chart Board and Release Boards and is made up of one or more boxes, each with its own set of statistics.
- On the Planning Board, each box relates to an individual Planning Board mode (that is, 'Version', 'Assignee' or 'Component').
- On the Chart and Release Boards, each box relates to an individual version.
To select box, click inside it and once selected, the box turns yellow. The content on the rest of the Board you are viewing will be updated to show the data associated with that box.
- 'Add' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode and Chart Board only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to create a new version. Read more in Adding a Version.
- 'Statistics' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode and Chart Board only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to configure statistics displayed in the boxes in this column. Read more in Configuring a Custom Statistic.
- 'Collapse' — Click the icon to show only the title of each box in the Statistics column.
- 'Expand' — Click the icon to show the full details for each box in the Statistics column.
- 'Hide' — Click the icon to hide the Statistics column and display the 'Issues' section of the Board in full screen width.
- Name ('Version', 'Assignee', 'Component', 'Project Overview' modes only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover this area of the selected box) to edit the project, version or component name.
- Actions menu — Click the icon (which will appear at the top right of the selected box when you hover over this area) to display a drop-down menu. This drop-down menu can contain the following items. Be aware that some of these are not available on certain GreenHopper Boards:
- 'Toggle visibility' — Click to show/hide the current box in the Statistics column.
- 'Issue Navigator' — Click to go to the Issue Navigator.
- 'Go to Task Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Task Board.
- 'Go to Planning Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Planning Board.
- 'Go to Chart Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Chart Board.
- 'Non Working Days' ('Version' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to edit the Non Working Days for a specific version. (Note: to edit the Non Working Days for the whole of GreenHopper, see Specifying your General Configuration.)
- 'Print Cards' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode only) — Click to print the displayed issues. For details please see Printing Issues in Card Form.
- 'Print Chart' (Chart and Released Boards only) — Click to print the currently viewed chart.
- 'Excel (Chart Data)' ('Hour Burndown Chart' on the Chart Board only) — Click to download a csv version of the chart's data.
You may need to refresh the contents of the chart board first in order to see this menu option.
- 'Release' ('Version' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to release the version. A snapshot of all of the charts associated with this version will also be captured (before any issues are swapped). You will be able to access these snapshots via your Released Board.
- 'Recompute' (Released Board only; 'Project Overview' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to refresh the Released Board. (Note: the Project Overview is the only chart that is stored statically; all other charts are generated dynamically.)
- Progress of the version ('Version' mode only) — the green bar indicates the percentage of issues that are complete, the yellow bar indicates the percentage of issues in progress, the red bar indicates the percentage of issues that have not been started. Hover over the bar to see the exact percentages. Click on a coloured section of the bar to be taken to the Issue Navigator for the full list of issues in that colour.
- 'Parent' ('Version' & 'Component' modes only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to choose the parent version or component for the version. All issues under the version/component will also be a subset of the parent version/component, e.g. 'Version 1' could be set as the parent version of 'Version 1 milestone 1'. Read more in Setting up a Component Hierarchy and Setting up a Version Hierarchy.
- 'Start date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the start date for the version.
- 'End date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the end date for the version.
Tip: The start date and end date are used to compute the various charts in GreenHopper.
- 'Release date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the JIRA release date for the version.
- Issue Type statistics — A summary of the number of issues of each type.
- Statistics based on the Task Board mapping — A summary of the number of issues in each status (based on the Mappings that your administrator has specified in the Task Board Settings).
- Time-tracking statistics — Only displayed if JIRA time tracking is enabled.
- 'Time Remaining' — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to specify maximum and minimum limits for the amount of time remaining.
- Custom statistics — Displayed if any custom statistics have been created by the project administrator. (The red numbers, if shown, indicate that a statistic's constraint has been exceeded.) If custom statistics exist, you can click the icon to add them as markers on your Planning Board (see Using Statistical Markers to Group Issues).
Tip: Boxes that relate to child versions or components are attached below their parent version or component and are represented with a right-indented arrow, as shown by the 'Hardening Sprint' example in the screenshot above.