The GreenHopper Chart Board provides you with a graphical representation of the progress of ongoing versions. You can view 'burndown' graphs that show the number of incomplete issues that need to be addressed or hours remaining to complete work for a specified version, over the duration of that version. You can also view 'burnup' graphs to show other custom data associated with issues, such as business value.
All graphs can show a range of additional trend lines to help you monitor and manage the progress of work conducted in your team.
To view the hour burndown chart for your project version,
Screenshot: GreenHopper Chart Board (click to view larger image)
The screenshot above shows an example Chart Board. To learn more about how to use the Chart Board, please see the sections below and the documentation linked from those sections.
Chart Board — Navigation BarGliffy
- Project dropdown — Select the project whose charts you wish to view.
- Context dropdown — Select the context by which to filter issues whose data will be represented in the charts ('Default', 'On the fly', or other contexts you have created). You can also select 'Manage' to edit your existing contexts, or 'New' to create a new context. Read more about contexts in Using Contexts to Filter and Highlight Issues.
- Refresh icon — Click the icon to reload the contents of the Chart Board.
- Board dropdown — Select another GreenHopper board to view (Planning Board, Task Board or Released Board).
- Version dropdown — Select the version for the Chart Board.
- Chart type dropdown — Select the type of chart you wish to view:
- 'Hour Burndown Chart' — Displays a chart depicting the number of hours remaining until the version release date.
- 'Issue Burndown Chart' — Displays a chart depicting the number of issues remaining until the version release date.
- 'Burndown Chart' — Displays a chart depicting a custom field's number of units (for example, story points) remaining until the version release date.
- 'Burnup Chart' — Displays a chart depicting a custom field's number of units (for example, business value) being gained in the lead-up to the version release date.
- 'Value Chart' — Displays a chart depicting a custom field's number of units being either burned (for example, 'story points') or gained (for example, 'business value') in the lead-up to the version release date.
- 'Cumulative Flow' — Displays the Cumulative Flow Diagram for a version.
- Custom field and Daily/By Children dropdowns — These options only appear if you have chosen to view the Burndown Chart, Burnup Chart or Value Chart only. Please refer to these topics for details on this dropdown.
- 'New Card' — Click the 'New' link to create a new card (i.e. issue). For details see Creating an Issue in GreenHopper.
- 'Views' dropdown — Select from the following:
- 'Full Screen' — Hides the JIRA header so as to fit more cards on the screen.
- 'Tools' dropdown — Select from the following:
- 'User Preferences' — Displays your user preferences for editing. Read more in Managing your User Preferences.
- 'Auto Refresh' — Enables auto-refresh for the Planning Board.
- 'Configuration' (Visible to administrators only) — Opens the GreenHopper Project Configuration screen. Read more in Configuring your GreenHopper Project Settings.
Chart Board - Displayed Chart
The actual display will depend on which chart you have selected. See:
- Viewing the Cumulative Flow Chart
- Viewing the Hour Burndown Chart
- Viewing the Issue Burndown Chart
- Viewing the Statistics Burndown Chart
- Viewing the Statistics Burnup Chart
- Viewing the Value Chart
Chart Board — Statistics ColumnThe Statistics Column is available on the right-hand side of the Planning Board, Chart Board and Release Boards and is made up of one or more boxes, each with its own set of statistics.
- On the Planning Board, each box relates to an individual Planning Board mode (that is, 'Version', 'Assignee' or 'Component').
- On the Chart and Release Boards, each box relates to an individual version.
To select box, click inside it and once selected, the box turns yellow. The content on the rest of the Board you are viewing will be updated to show the data associated with that box.
- 'Add' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode and Chart Board only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to create a new version. Read more in Adding a Version.
- 'Statistics' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode and Chart Board only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to configure statistics displayed in the boxes in this column. Read more in Configuring a Custom Statistic.
- 'Collapse' — Click the icon to show only the title of each box in the Statistics column.
- 'Expand' — Click the icon to show the full details for each box in the Statistics column.
- 'Hide' — Click the icon to hide the Statistics column and display the 'Issues' section of the Board in full screen width.
- Name ('Version', 'Assignee', 'Component', 'Project Overview' modes only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover this area of the selected box) to edit the project, version or component name.
- Actions menu — Click the icon (which will appear at the top right of the selected box when you hover over this area) to display a drop-down menu. This drop-down menu can contain the following items. Be aware that some of these are not available on certain GreenHopper Boards:
- 'Toggle visibility' — Click to show/hide the current box in the Statistics column.
- 'Issue Navigator' — Click to go to the Issue Navigator.
- 'Go to Task Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Task Board.
- 'Go to Planning Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Planning Board.
- 'Go to Chart Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Chart Board.
- 'Non Working Days' ('Version' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to edit the Non Working Days for a specific version. (Note: to edit the Non Working Days for the whole of GreenHopper, see Specifying your General Configuration.)
- 'Print Cards' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode only) — Click to print the displayed issues. For details please see Printing Issues in Card Form.
- 'Print Chart' (Chart and Released Boards only) — Click to print the currently viewed chart.
- 'Excel (Chart Data)' ('Hour Burndown Chart' on the Chart Board only) — Click to download a csv version of the chart's data.
You may need to refresh the contents of the chart board first in order to see this menu option.
- 'Release' ('Version' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to release the version. A snapshot of all of the charts associated with this version will also be captured (before any issues are swapped). You will be able to access these snapshots via your Released Board.
- 'Recompute' (Released Board only; 'Project Overview' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to refresh the Released Board. (Note: the Project Overview is the only chart that is stored statically; all other charts are generated dynamically.)
- 'Create Wallboard' (Planning Board only; 'Project Overview' mode only) — Click to create a Wallboard.
- A wallboard will be created with the name '<Project name> (autogenerated)' and displayed. Your wallboard is a new page on your JIRA dashboard, and will contain:
- Select 'View as Wallboard' from the 'Tools' drop-down on your JIRA dashboard, and stare in awe at your fresh new wallboard. For optimal use of screen real-estate, enter full-screen mode on your browser (F11 in Firefox 3.6 and Chrome 5; Safari requires a plugin to enable full-screen mode) and refresh. Wallboards are optimised for 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 screens, but should work in some other resolution modes.
- Progress of the version ('Version' mode only) — the green bar indicates the percentage of issues that are complete, the yellow bar indicates the percentage of issues in progress, the red bar indicates the percentage of issues that have not been started. Hover over the bar to see the exact percentages. Click on a coloured section of the bar to be taken to the Issue Navigator for the full list of issues in that colour.
- 'Parent' ('Version' & 'Component' modes only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to choose the parent version or component for the version. All issues under the version/component will also be a subset of the parent version/component, e.g. 'Version 1' could be set as the parent version of 'Version 1 milestone 1'. Read more in Setting up a Component Hierarchy and Setting up a Version Hierarchy.
- 'Start date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the start date for the version.
- 'End date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the end date for the version.
Tip: The start date and end date are used to compute the various charts in GreenHopper.
- 'Release date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the JIRA release date for the version.
- Issue Type statistics — A summary of the number of issues of each type.
- Statistics based on the Task Board mapping — A summary of the number of issues in each status (based on the Mappings that your administrator has specified in the Task Board Settings).
- Time-tracking statistics — Only displayed if JIRA time tracking is enabled.
- 'Time Remaining' — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to specify maximum and minimum limits for the amount of time remaining.
- Custom statistics — Displayed if any custom statistics have been created by the project administrator. (The red numbers, if shown, indicate that a statistic's constraint has been exceeded.) If custom statistics exist, you can click the icon to add them as markers on your Planning Board (see Using Statistical Markers to Group Issues).
Tip: Boxes that relate to child versions or components are attached below their parent version or component and are represented with a right-indented arrow, as shown by the 'Hardening Sprint' example in the screenshot above.