All issues under the child version are considered to be a subset of the parent version. These version hierarchies are useful for managing Releases/Sprints/Teams. For example, if you set 'Version 2' to be the master of 'Version 2 milestone 1', then you will be able to view all the issues assigned to 'Version 2 milestone 1' when you view 'Version 2' on the Planning Board.
To set a version as the parent of another version,
- Log into JIRA.
You will need to have the JIRA 'Project Administrator' permission in the relevant project.
- Click the 'Agile' link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar and select 'Planning Board' from the resulting dropdown menu. The 'Planning Board' will be displayed.
- Select your project from the project dropdown in the top navigation bar, if it is not already selected.
- Change the viewing mode to 'Version' mode.
- Locate the box for the version that you want to be the child version in the right-hand column.
- Edit the 'Parent' field by clicking the icon which will appear when you hover over the field.
- Select the version that you want to be the parent version from the dropdown. The Planning Board will refresh and display your version under its new parent version (see screenshot below). The child version will also have an icon display in its header.
Screenshot: A parent and child version in GreenHopper