Introduction to the Rapid Board
The Rapid Board is very similar to the Task Board of today with a few significant differences:
- support for multiple JIRA projects
- control chart for measuring the cycle time
- interactive charts (zoom and click)
- permanent links provide 'what you see is what they get' when emailing or IM'ing URLs
- quick filters are based on JQL so you can create your own
Over time the Rapid Board will evolve to replace the bulk of the functionality you see today on the Planning/Task/Chart/Released Boards. This is The New GreenHopper.
We initially focused on Kanban teams and have recently added support for Scrum teams as described in The Future of GreenHopper. Please note that Scrum support is currently in beta and is only available through Labs.
Please note that Internet Explorer 7 (and IE8/IE9 in IE7 Compatibility Mode) are not supported for use with the Rapid Board.
Accessing the Rapid Board
To access the Rapid Board:
- Log in to JIRA.
Click the 'Agile' link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar and select 'Rapid Board' from the resulting dropdown menu.
If this is your first visit to the Rapid Board, you will be prompted to create a Rapid View.
- The Rapid Board will be displayed.
- Click 'Plan', 'Work' or 'Report', depending on what you need to do.
Screenshot 1: the Rapid Board in 'Plan' mode (click to enlarge)
On the Plan tab you can:
- Prioritise the Backlog — Create issues for your backlog, rank and estimate them, and pull the marker (the grey 'Sprint' box) down to grab a set of issues you'd like to tackle for your first iteration.
- Estimate Stories — You can use the 'J' and 'K' keys to move through issues in the backlog and get details on the right-hand side of the screen. Plug in your estimates or story points as you go.
- Plan, and Plan Again — When you're happy with the stories for the iteration, click the 'Start Sprint' button and the stories will move onto the Work tab. While a sprint is active on the Work tab, you can still plan a subsequent iteration on the Plan tab, but you won't be able to start it until the active iteration is completed. Note that you can only start (or complete) a sprint if you have 'Project Administrator' permission for all issues in the sprint.
Note that the Plan tab is only available for Rapid Views that were created using the Scrum preset — see Creating a Rapid View.
Screenshot 2: the Rapid Board in 'Work' mode (click to enlarge)
On the Work tab you can:
- Work on Issues — Choose the highest ranked issues in the 'To Do' column and drag them to the 'In Progress' column. (See Transitioning an Issue.) As you complete each issue in the 'In Progress' column, drag it to the 'Done' column.
- Release a Version (or Sprint) — Click the icon to create your new version and mark it as 'released' throughout JIRA and GreenHopper. (See Releasing a Version.)
Using the Navigation Area
The navigation area of the Rapid Board is annotated below:
- Rapid View dropdown — Select a Rapid View to show issues associated with its JIRA filter.
- 'Plan' — Plan and allocate work (currently in Labs).
- 'Work' —Transition issues from one status to the next.
- 'Report' —View the Control Chart or the Cumulative Flow Diagram.
- 'Cog' menu — Configure, copy or delete your current Rapid View, or create a new one.
- 'Only My Issues' — Only display issues which are assigned to you.
- 'Recently Updated' — Only display issues which were updated in the last 24 hours.
If any custom Quick Filters have been configured for this Rapid Board, they will replace 'Only My Issues' and 'Recently Updated'.
Rapid Board Keyboard Shortcuts
These shortcuts are available on any Rapid View of the Rapid Board.
Go to the next issue (down) in a column.
Go to the previous issue (up) in a column.
Go to the next (right) column of a Rapid View.
Go to the previous (left) column of a Rapid View.
Hide/Show Right Section
|View Issue||'o'||Open the issue which is currently showing in the detailed view.|
Submit field content
Submit the content of a field being edited in the detailed view.
Add a New Line
'Shift' + 'Enter'
Add a new line in a field being edited in the detailed view.
|Move to Top||'s' + 't'||Move an issue to the top of the current column. (Only applicable if Ranking has been enabled.)|
|Move to Bottom||'s' + 'b'||Move an issue to the bottom of the current column. (Only applicable if Ranking has been enabled.)|
|Projector Mode||'z'||Display full-screen mode. Reduces clutter, increases sizes and contrast. For use on projectors or similar.|
In addition to the keyboard shortcuts listed above, many of GreenHopper's other keyboard shortcuts are also available on the Rapid Board.
You can also perform any JIRA issue operation on the currently selected issue of a Rapid View, using the Operations Dialog Box.
If you add a comment to an issue or delete an issue, a notification appears at the bottom of your browser window indicating that the issue's status has been updated.