The method for capturing screenshots differs on each operating system, as described below:
Capturing a screenshot on Windows
- New screenshot capture — To capture a screenshot onto the system clipboard, use either of the following keyboard combinations:
- Press ALT-PRINTSCREEN to capture your currently selected window; or
- Press CTRL-ALT-PRINTSCREEN to capture the whole desktop
- Existing image — Open your existing image in your favorite imaging application and select the copy option from the appropriate menu to capture the image into the system clipboard.
Capturing a screenshot on Mac OSX
- New screenshot capture — To capture a screenshot into the system clipboard, use either of the following keyboard combinations:
- Press CTRL-CMD-SHIFT-4 to capture a selected area of your desktop; or
- Press CTRL-CMD-SHIFT-3 to capture the whole desktop
- Existing image — Open your existing image in your favorite imaging application and select the copy option from the appropriate menu to capture the image onto the system clipboard.
Attaching a screenshot
To attach a screenshot:
- Open the JIRA issue to which you wish to attach a file.
Select More > Attach Screenshot.
The Attach Screenshot dialog box opens. Note that if you take a screenshot at this point it will include the Attach Screenshot dialog box.
Paste the image from your clipboard using the relevant keyboard shortcut. (For Max OSX use CMD+V, for Windows use Ctrl+V)
Enter a file name for the screenshot you are attaching. (The file name defaults to
A valid file name cannot contain any of these characters:
'\', '/','\"', '%', ':', '$', '?', '*'.
- Click Upload to attach the captured image to your JIRA issue.
Deleting a screenshot
To delete a screenshot from an issue:
- Open the JIRA issue you wish to delete the screenshot from.
- Locate the attached screenshot in the Attachments section.
- Highlight the screenshot you want to delete by hovering your mouse over it. A trash can will appear at the bottom left side of the screenshot.
Highlighted attached screenshot
- Click on the trash can. A Remove Attachment confirmation box displays.
- Click Delete to confirm you want to delete the screenshot.
- IE9's browser security settings may block the Java Applet. To fix this:
- Open IE9 and access JIRA. IE will ask if you want to Allow Java add-on -> Click Yes.
- Open an issue. From More -> Attach Screenshot -> IE will ask if you want to Allow Applet for JIRA -> Click Yes.