Managing a project's components
- Log in to JIRA as a project administrator.
- Choose > Projects. The Project Summary page is displayed (see Defining a Project).
Keyboard shortcut: g + g + start typing project
- Choose Components in the left menu. The Components page is displayed, showing a list of components and each component's details. From here you can manage the project's components as described below.
Screenshot: The 'Components' screen
Adding a new component
- The Add Component form is located at the top of the 'Components' screen.
- Enter the Name for the component. Optionally enter a Description and select a Component Lead and Default Assignee (see options below).
Selecting a Default Assignee
You can optionally set a Default Assignee for a component. This will override the project's default assignee, for issues in that component.
If an issue has multiple components, and the default assignees of components clash, the assignee will be set to the default assignee of the component that is first alphabetically.
Default Assignee Option
Issues matching this component will have the assignee set to the same default assignee as the parent project.
The assignee will be set to the project leader.
If the project leader is not permitted to be assigned to issues in the permission scheme this option will be disabled and will say "Project Lead is not allowed to be assigned issues".
The assignee will be set to the component leader.
If the component leader is not permitted to be assigned to issues in the permission scheme this option will be disabled and will say "Component Lead is not allowed to be assigned issues". The Component Lead option will also not be available if the component does not have a lead assigned to the component. Instead under this option it will say "Component does not have a lead.".
The assignee of the issue will not be set on the creation of this issue.
This option will only be available if "Allow unassigned issues" is enabled in the General Configuration.
Editing a component's details
- On the 'Components' screen, hover over the relevant component to display the pencil icon.
- Edit the component's Name, Description, Lead and Default Assignee.
- Click the Update button to save your changes.
Deleting a component
- On the 'Components' screen, hover over the relevant component to display the Delete button.
- You will be prompted to associate these issues with another component if you wish.