What is the JIRA WAR distribution?
JIRA is available in two types of 'distributions':
- 'Recommended' distributions (which include JIRA installations installed using the 'Windows Installer', 'Linux Installer' or from an 'Archive File')
- The 'WAR' distribution for advanced or highly configured JIRA installations.
Require minimal setup
Requires manual configuration
Pre-packaged with the Apache Tomcat application server
Requires building and deployment to an existing application server installation
Include the JIRA Configuration Tool
Does not include the JIRA Configuration Tool
Recommended for all users
Suitable only for system administrators
We recommend installing the 'recommended' distributions of JIRA over the WAR distribution — even for organisations with an existing application server environment.
To install a recommended distribution of JIRA, see Installing JIRA.
Installing JIRA WAR
To install JIRA WAR, follow the instructions for your application server:
- Read the JIRA WAR Configuration Overview. This contains important configuration information, regardless of your application server.
- Read Switching Application Servers to Apache Tomcat if you are currently running JIRA on a non-Tomcat application server. Please be aware of JIRA's Supported Platforms page, which indicates what application servers are supported by JIRA.
- Also be aware that we do not recommend Deploying Multiple Atlassian Applications in a Single Tomcat Container.