On this page:
Hiding or Changing the Colour of the Gadget's Frame
You can change the colour of the frame surrounding a gadget on your dashboard. You can even hide the gadget's frame altogether, so that it only shows when you move your mouse pointer over the gadget. In the screenshot below, the top two gadgets have hidden frames. The frame for the top gadget on the left is not visible. The frame for the top gadget on the right is currently visible because the mouse pointer is hovering over the gadget.
To hide or change the colour of a gadget's frame,
Screenshot: Hiding or changing the colour of a gadget's frame
Minimising and Expanding a Gadget
You can shrink (minimise) a gadget on your dashboard so that it displays only the top bar of the gadget frame. In the screenshot below, the top left gadget ('Spider') has been minimised.
- If you minimise a gadget that has a hidden frame, the gadget will not be visible on the dashboard until you move your mouse pointer over the gadget. See the section above on hiding or changing the colour of the gadget frame.
- You can minimise/expand a gadget even if you do not have update permissions on the dashboard.
- The minimise/expand setting is stored in a cookie, and is not saved to the dashboard server.
To minimise a gadget,
To expand a gadget that has been minimised,
Screenshot: A minimised gadget
Opening the Maximised or Canvas View of a Gadget
Some gadgets allow you to expand themselves so that they take up the entire space allowed by the dashboard. This is also known as 'canvas view'.
- The maximised or canvas view of a gadget often provides additional functionality, i.e. more than is available in the standard view of the gadget.
- This is not the same as minimising and then expanding a gadget (see above).
- Only some gadgets provide the maximised or canvas view.
- You can open the canvas view of a gadget even if you do not have update permissions on the dashboard.
- The maximised/canvas view setting is stored in a cookie, and is not saved to the dashboard server.
To open the maximised or canvas view of a gadget,
To close the canvas view and return to your dashboard,
Screenshot: The maximised or canvas view of a gadget
Editing a Gadget's Settings
Some gadgets provide specific properties or settings that you can edit. These settings will be different for each gadget. For example, a gadget may allow you to customise its welcome message, or to define the server where the gadget will find its information.
To edit a gadget's settings,
Screenshot: Editing a gadget's settings