JIRA allows you to easily move a single issue from one project to another by using the 'Move Issue' wizard.
Please note that you must have the appropriate project permissions to move an issue from one project to another, i.e.
- You must have the 'Move Issues' permission for the project which has the issue that you want to move.
- You must have the 'Create Issues' permission for the project that you wish to move your issue to.
If you do not have either of this permissions, please contact your JIRA administrator to have these added to your user profile.
Moving an Issue
The 'Move Issue' wizard allows you to specify another project in your JIRA instance to move your selected issue to. As there may be significant differences in the configuration of your original project and target project, the 'Move Issue' wizard allows you to change certain attributes of the issue. These include:
- Issue Type — If your issue is a custom issue type that does not exist in your target project, you must select a new issue type. You can also choose to arbitrarily change the issue type, if you wish.
- Issue Status — You may have set up custom issue statuses as part of a workflow. If you have assigned a custom status to your issue and it does not exist in your target project, you must select a new issue status for your issue. You cannot arbitrarily change the issue status, i.e. the option to change the issue status will only appear if you are required to change it.
- Custom Fields — If you have defined required custom fields for your issue, which do not exist in your target project, you must set values for them. You will only be prompted to change the enter values for required custom fields in the target project, that are missing values. If you wish to change the existing values for other fields on your issue, you can do this after the move is complete.
To move an issue:
- View the issue that you wish to move.
- Click the 'Move' link under the 'Operations' menu in the left-hand column of the screen.
- The first page of the 'Move Issue' wizard will display. Select the project that you wish to move your issue to, and if required/desired, change the issue type. Click 'Next' to continue.
- If you are required to change the status of your issue (see explanation above), the 'Select Status' page will display. Select the new status for your issue and click 'Next' to continue.
- If you are required to specify the values for any required custom fields (see explanation above), the 'Update Fields' page will display. Specify the desired values for each field, and click 'Next' to continue.
- The 'Confirmation' page will display with all of your changes. If you wish to revise any of your changes, you can click the appropriate step in the left-hand menu to return to that page of the wizard. Once you are happy with your changes, click 'Move' to move the issue to the target project.
- Your issue will be moved to the target project and displayed on screen. You can now edit the issue to make further changes, if you wish.