Step 1 of 3: Application Properties
The first page of the wizard looks like this:
On this page you can set some of the JIRA configuration settings, and enter your license key.
We strongly recommend that you specify a backup path as this will allow JIRA to periodically backup the database.
JIRA configuration settings
For more details on the settings and what they mean, see Configuring JIRA.
The first page of the wizard will also prompt you to accept or enter new locations for the following:
- Indexes — the default location for your indexes is in the
caches/indexessub-directory under your JIRA Home directory. If you are considering changing the default location, please read Search Indexing first.
- File Attachments — the default location for your indexes is in the
data/attachmentssub-directory under your JIRA Home directory. If you are considering changing the default location, please read Enabling File Attachments first.
- Automated Backups — the default location for your indexes is in the
exportssub-directory under your JIRA Home directory. If you are considering changing the default location, please read Automating JIRA Backups first.
Evaluation license key
You are required to enter a valid license key before you can use JIRA. You can obtain an evaluation license key which will allow JIRA to run unrestricted for 30 days. To use your existing license key or obtain a new license key, follow the steps below:
- If you are a new user, you will need to create an account to generate an evaluation license key. Otherwise, log in to the Atlassian website and navigate to the 'JIRA - Licenses' page.
- Once you have created an account or logged in with an existing account, the 'JIRA - Licenses' page will display with a list of your existing JIRA licenses. If you do not have any JIRA licenses, generate one by clicking on the 'Generate evaluation license' link for JIRA. A new evaluation license will be generated and displayed on the page.
- Click on the 'View' link to view the license key of the evaluation license that you wish to use. Copy the license key to your clipboard and paste it into the 'License Key' field of the Setup Wizard.
Step 2 of 3: Administrator Account
After completing the first page, the second page of the wizard sets up an administrator account:
Once this initial administrator account is created, that administrator can then create other administrators.
Step 3 of 3: Email Notification
The last page of the setup wizard allows you to configure the outgoing emails from JIRA.
To disable email notifications (you can always enable them later), just click the Disable Email Notifications button.
For the outgoing mail server choice, you must either specify the JNDI location of a
javax.mail.Session object (usually provided by your application server) or specify the location of an SMTP server.
Once you complete this step, JIRA should be set up and ready for use. For details please see: