In order to provide fast searching, JIRA creates an index of the text entered into issue fields. This index is stored on the file system, and updated whenever issue text is added or modified. It is sometimes necessary to regenerate this index manually; for instance if issues have been manually entered into the database, or the index has been lost or corrupted.
- Log in as a user with the 'JIRA Administrators' global permission.
- Bring up the administration page by clicking either the 'Administration' link on the top bar or the title of the Administration box on the dashboard.
- Under the 'System' sub-menu on the left, click the 'Indexing' link.
- This page allows you to:
- re-index your data — whenever you re-index data, JIRA will clear any existing indexes and re-index all the current data from scratch. This may take a few minutes, depending on how many issues you have, and users will be unable to access JIRA during this time.
- optimise your indexes
- move your indexes to another directory — by default, your indexes are located in your JIRA home directory under the
caches/indexessub-directory. Note that only people with the 'JIRA System Administrators' global permission can move the index.
Screenshot: Indexing JIRA