Components are sub-sections of a project. They are used to group issues within a project into smaller parts. The available operations for components are:
- Add — Make new components under which issues can be classed.
- Delete — Remove a component from a project.
- Edit — Update/change the details of a particular component.
- Select Default Assignee — Set the default assignee for issues created in a particular component.
On this page:
Managing project components
All component management operations are available from the Component section of the Project Admin Page.
- Login to JIRA as a project administrator. (A project administrator is someone who has the project-specific permission 'Administer Project', but not necessarily the global permission 'JIRA Administrators'. )
- Click the 'Administration' link on the top bar.
- This will display the Administration page, showing a list of projects which you have permission to manage. Click the project of interest.
- You will now see a page displaying the project details. On the lower left, the 'Components' section displays a summary of the project's components along with links to add, edit and remove components (as described below).
Adding a new component
- In the 'Components' section (see above), click the 'Add' link.
- The 'Add a Component' screen will be displayed. Type the name of your new component.
- You can also optionally enter the component description and/or assign a user to be the component lead.
- Click the "Add" button. The component summary list is updated immediately and you will be redirected to the project admin page.
Selecting a Default Assignee
You can also extend the default assignee of an issue to be component specific instead of project specific.
- In the 'Components' section (see 'Managing project components' above), click the 'Select' link. A 'Select Component Assignee' pane will appear on the Project Admin Page.
- For each component, select the assignee to whom you want to have new issues in the component assigned by default. See the list of options below.
- Click on the 'Update' button.
Default Assignee Options
Issues matching this component will have the assignee set to the same default assignee as the parent project.
The assignee will be set to the project leader. Condition: If the project leader is not permitted to be assigned to issues in the permission scheme this option will be disabled and will say "Project Lead is not allowed to be assigned issues.".
The assignee will be set to the component leader. Condition: If the project leader is not permitted to be assigned to issues in the permission scheme this option will be disabled and will say "Component Lead is not allowed to be assigned issues".The Component Lead option will also not be available if the component does not have a lead assigned to the component. Instead under this option it will say "Component does not have a lead.".
The assignee of the issue will not be set on the creation of this issue. Condition: The unassigned option will only be available if the unassigned is enabled in the General Configuration. Instead under this option it will say "Unassigned issues are disabled.".
Editing a component
- In the 'Components' section (see 'Managing project components' above), click the 'Edit' link at the right of a the component you wish to edit.
- This will bring you to the "Edit Component" page. Here, it is possible to edit the version name, description and lead.
- Press the 'Update' button.
- On completion of the update operation, you are returned to the project admin page - with an updated component list reflecting the changes made.
Deleting a component
- In the 'Components' section (see 'Managing project components' above), click the 'Delete' link at the right of the component you wish to delete.
- This will bring you to the "Delete Component" page.
- On this page you can specify the action to be taken regarding the issues in this component. You can either associate these issues with another active component, or have the references removed.
- Press the 'Delete' button.
- On completion of the delete operation, you are returned to the project admin page - with an updated component list reflecting the changes made.