Resolutions are the ways in which an issue can be closed. JIRA ships with a set of default resolutions, but you can add your own as follows.
Defining a new resolution
- Log in as a user with the 'JIRA Administrators' global permission.
- Select 'Administration' > 'Issues' > 'Resolutions' to open the 'View Resolutions' page, which lists the standard resolutions, along with a form underneath to add new resolutions.
Keyboard shortcut: 'g' + 'g' + start typing 'issue types'
Screenshot: the 'View Resolutions' screen.
- To add a new resolution, fill in the 'Add New Resolution' form.
- For the 'Name' field, enter a short phrase that best describes your new resolution.
- For the 'Description' field, enter a sentence or two to describe when this resolution should be used.
The 'View Resolutions' screen can be used to edit, delete, set as default, and re-order the resolutions as they are displayed to the user who is resolving an issue.