Before you can create issues, you need to create a project to contain them. Here's how: (click to expand)
- Click 'Administration' in the top navigation bar.
- Select 'Projects' > 'Projects' from the top menu, then click 'Add Project'.
- In the 'Name' field, type a descriptive name for your project (typically two or three words, e.g. 'Purchase Orders').
- In the 'Key' field, type a meaningful prefix for issues in your project (typically three or four characters, e.g.'ORD'). Note that this cannot be changed later.
- In the 'Project Lead' field, select the user to whom issues should be assigned by default.
- If you chose to set up email when you installed JIRA (see above), change the 'Notification Scheme' field from 'None' to 'Default Notification Scheme'. This will allow JIRA to automatically send emails to appropriate people when particular events occur (e.g. 'Issue Created', 'Issue Resolved'). For more about email, please see the documentation.
- Leave the rest of the fields with their default values for now. Click the 'Add' button.