We will load different sets of data into a separate JIRA instance in order to minimize custom field issues that arise from differences in usage.
PRD = Production data backup
SRC = Source data backup
STG = Staging data backup
- Have a copy of your
<JIRA-home>/plugin/installed-plugins folder from production ready (plugins zip).
- Have a backup of your production data ready (PRD).
- Have a backup of your source data (SRC).
- Install JIRA on a separate staging instance and unpack the plugins zip from your production server in to the same location. We are trying to emulate your production instance.
- Import the XML backup from (SRC) to your staging instance.
- Make an XML backup of your staging instance, (STG).
- Shutdown your staging JIRA instance.
- Using the Connecting JIRA to a Database documentation, create a new database for your staging environment and point to it with the Using the JIRA Configuration Tool documentation.
- Restart your staging JIRA instance. This will rebuild the database structure, using the new database.
- Restore XML on the JIRA staging instance startup using the (PRD) backup.
- Import the project from the (STG) backup.
- After the (PRD) to staging import is successful, generate another backup (final).
- Backup your Production instance.
- Import the (final) backup into Production.