You can now connect Hipchat to a forward proxy (sometimes called an outbound proxy) to enable features that require access to an internet location outside your firewall.
Hipchat Labs includes a Forward proxy only at this time.
hipchat labs proxy --enable --set [proxyurl]
- The server's forward proxy configuration is stored in site.json and in features.json
- This Labs proxy supports transparent proxies using HTTP CONNECT only. Authenticated proxies are not supported.
- Your proxy must be resolvable and reachable by Hipchat through a single endpoint on the network. However this endpoint can be load balancer. Both IPv4 addresses and DNS names will work.
- You must restart the server to apply the configuration change and enable the proxy.
- The proxy is only used for outbound traffic, for example to download new installer binaries during a
hipchat upgrade, or for integrations that call out to a service outside your network. Crowd servers are assumed to be inside your network and are excluded.
You can set the API keys Hipchat uses to fetch better thumbnails, previews, and snippets when someone links to a service such as Github, YouTube, and Imgur. Learn more about API keys here.
hipchat labs apikeys --[SERVICE SERVICE_KEY]
hipchat labs apikeys --helpfor a list of the available services, and key types or formats for each service.
- A previous workaround for this feature allowed you to set these API keys, but they were reset each time you upgraded. Using this Labs feature, API keys are stored in
etc/chef/solo.jsonso they're not overwritten on upgrade.
You can use the SSL Ciphers tool to substitute a different cipher chain, for example if your internal network requires different TLS handling.
hipchat labs sslciphers --enable --ciphers [LIST-OF-CIPHERS]
- When you run this CLI, your override cipher chain is stored in
/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/000-web. and is also stored in
/etc/chef/solo.json. This path is not clobbered on upgrade.
- By default, Hipchat's version of NGINX uses the following TLS cipher chain:
- To return to this default, run the CLI with the
--disableflag to turn off any cipher overrides.
Unread tracking is used to show which messages have been previously 'read' by the HipChat client while the user was offline.
hipchat labs unread --[ENABLE, DISABLE]
- This feature is only available for HipChat Server v2.2.7 or newer. Currently not available in HipChat Data Center.
- The default is that unread tracking is enabled.