Directory page in Hipchat Server is not loaded after directory synchronisation runs
Platform notice: Server and Data Center only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
- After directory synchronisation runs, Directory page in Hipchat Server fails to load.
- The page loading indicator spins indefinitely and eventually shows a "Services Starting..." page, but does not progress.
- Refreshing the page does not make any difference.
- Alternatively, the following may be seen in the browser. Notice the split view of the webpage:
- The issue is typically encountered when Hipchat Server tries to synchronize a large amount of users from an external user directory (more than the maximum 5000 users license limit).
To get the Directory page to load properly again, manually restart Crowd service that handles directory integration within Hipchat.
From the server's terminal/command-line, run the following:
sudo dont-blame-hipchat -c "service crowd restart"
- Once Crowd service restart completes, refresh the Directory page.
It is highly recommended that the existing user directory configuration be reviewed and, where possible, limit the scope of users that will be synchronized over to Hipchat. If using an LDAP or Active Directory Server, please have a look at the article titled Reduce the number of users synchronised from LDAP to Hipchat Server for tips on how to reduce the user count. Please also note that the use of a Crowd or Jira server for user management will cause all users to sync with the Hipchat Server. No filtering is possible when synchronizing with a Crowd or Jira server. Please consider connecting the Hipchat Server to an LDAP or Active Directory server, if available, in order to leverage available filtering features.
If the issue persists, please contact Hipchat Server Support and gather a set of logs from your Hipchat Server by running
hipchat diagnostics -b at the system's terminal/command-line interface
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article