Hipchat Server displays Fatal error: Call to a member function when accessing the Web Interface
Platform notice: Server and Data Center only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
This is for an outdated version of Hipchat Server
This article applies to a version of Hipchat Server which will be deprecated soon. After that period the version will no longer be supported.
The following versions have been deprecated:
- Hipchat Server 1.3 (EOL Date: Aug 17, 2017)
- Hipchat Server 2.0 (EOL Date: Jun 17, 2018)
- Hipchat Server 2.1 (EOL Date: Dec 8, 2018)
The following version will be deprecated soon:
- Hipchat Server 2.2 (EOL Date: May 30, 2019)
You can read more about Atlassian's End of Life policy here.
You should upgrade to a more recent version of Hipchat Server as soon as you can to take advantage of new features, and security and bug fixes.
When accessing the Hipchat Server Web Interface a fatal error is thrown similar to:
- Fatal error: Call to a member function get_group() on a non-object in /hipchat-scm/web/application/controllers/application.php on line 952
The following appears in the nginx.err
2015-10-13T20:12:47.390040+00:00 hipchat nginx-error: 2015/10/13 20:12:43 [error] 7263#0: *81730 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function get_group() on a non-object in /hipchat-scm/web/application/controllers/application.php on line 952" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.0.10, server: , request: "GET /server_admin/setup_welcome HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "hipchat.yourdomain.com"
This issue is caused when the setup wizard is not fully completed and a user drops connection.
The fix requires you to log into the console and reset the owner user account back to defaults (firstname.lastname@example.org). You then will be able to set-up the correct owner account during the startup wizard.
- SSH into your Hipchat Server
Issue the following command:
hipchat service --reset-owner=EMAIL
- Navigate back to the Hipchat Server instance in a web browser and follow the startup wizard to set the new owner account.
If using Hipchat Server v1.3.5 or older, please use
hipchat service --reset-login=EMAIL for step 2 above
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article